Slicks or drag radials at the track

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
Are slicks are easier on the IRS than DOT drag radials? I was told they are, because the wrinkle wall absorbs some of the initial shock that is put on the car at the start. I thought it would be harder on the car because slicks wouldn't allow spinning. I would much rather spin a little with DOT drag radials vs not spinning and breaking. Any thoughts?

Venimus03

Established Member
ET streets or slicks are better for track use because of the soft sidewall, this will soak up most of the shock from the launch and will make it less abusive to the h/s. The soft sidewall also gets rid of wheel hop which is the destroyer of h/s.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I've been running ET Streets non radial for more than 2 years on N20.
This is on my stock half shafts hitting 10.9-11.1 w/ 1.6x 60' times.
Yes, I believe the bias ply is easier on the half shafts.

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
What type of clutch are you running and do you have any plans to upgrade your input shaft if you haven't done it already? I'm currently runinning ET streets on the stock rim, but I plan on getting some 17X10.5 to put on the rear for more traction. I'm trying to decide what tire will be the best fit for the extra width (10.5 inch vs. stock 9 inch).

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
What type of clutch are you running and do you have any plans to upgrade your input shaft if you haven't done it already? I'm currently runinning ET streets on the stock rim, but I plan on getting some 17X10.5 to put on the rear for more traction. I'm trying to decide what tire will be the best fit for the extra width (10.5 inch vs. stock 9 inch).

I currently run a Ram HD clutch. It has taken my abuse with no problems so far.
I burned through a CF LM clutch pretty quick one I added the 100 shot.
I did upgrade the input shaft to the 26 spline when I upgraded the clutch.
The 17" ET Street fit perfectly on the stock 9" wheel. I think a 10.5" will be to wide. Check the MT site just to make sure.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
So what is the difference between the ET streets and ET street radials??

Sorry to hijack

The ET streets are a bias ply tire. It has a very soft side wall.
The ET Street radial is a typical radial tire with a soft compound and a stiff side wall.

Chek to MT site for pics.

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
You're right that 17x10.5 rim is going to be too wide...I'm stuck. If I go with M & H I have to jump up to a 28 inch tall tire and this will take away too much of my gear and I will probably have to roll the fenders to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread