Slight tire "wobble" at speeds above 30

Azsnake

Established Member
I have a slight "wobble" feeling in the left front tire when speeds are above about 30. Haven't hit any curbs or big potholes. When I move the steering wheel at speed it almost feels like its hopping? Its not a huge problem, very minor at this point. Anyways I'm lowered on race springs and stock struts. I'm replacing the struts with Bilsteins as soon as they arrive. What could be the issue? I have 54k on the car. Brand new tires about 500 miles ago as well.

my ideas so far:
-tire out of balance?
-tie rods
-ball joint?
-strut?

Predatorbird

Established Member
Did you re-tourque the lug nuts? Maybe they are loose since you just replaced your tires recently. :shrug:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
If you don't have any C&C plates it could be wobble from your tire leaning in too much.

Azsnake

Established Member
If you don't have any C&C plates it could be wobble from your tire leaning in too much.

I don't have them. However, when I had the car aligned the tech was able to align to almost factory spec without the plates. I bet that would cure it though. Hmmm has anyone ever had the UPR plates? How are they?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Ever seen a car on the frwy and the front or rear wheels are bouncing as they drive?

This means that their shock or strut on that side is FUBARed.

Have a friend or someone else drive next to you and observe if the wheel is bouncing up and down.

12-13 year old stock struts with lowered springs is kinda stretching it anyways. They are pretty much done.

p.s.. another issue could be your front control arm bushings. They are normally toast after this amount of time. Methinks it would be time to upgrade to the 03-04 Cobra control arms.

Last edited:

Azsnake

Established Member
All good thoughts. On another note, I floored my car today while merging. Brought it up to about 5.5-6k. In my rearview mirror I noticed quite a bit of smoke. 99% sure it's oil burning. Is this caused by blow-by? Would a catch can fix this? Was kinda embarrassing haha.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Depends on the color smoke. If it's black it's fuel. Bluish-gray is oil. The catch can will only help if it's coming through the PCV. More then likely it's rings or valve seals. The can won't help that.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
30 mph is pretty slow to feel a wobble unless something is loose or out of round. A bad balance job or thrown weight is usually a 55+ mph thing. Are your front and rear wheels the same size? If so, I recommend a rotation to see if it moves to the back. Even though the tires are new, I wouldn't write off a bad tire. You can take it back to the place that installed it and tell them the issue. They should at least check the balance again for free. If you ask them to check the tire and rim for out of roundness, they should do that also while it's on the balancer.

Azsnake

Established Member
30 mph is pretty slow to feel a wobble unless something is loose or out of round. A bad balance job or thrown weight is usually a 55+ mph thing. Are your front and rear wheels the same size? If so, I recommend a rotation to see if it moves to the back. Even though the tires are new, I wouldn't write off a bad tire. You can take it back to the place that installed it and tell them the issue. They should at least check the balance again for free. If you ask them to check the tire and rim for out of roundness, they should do that also while it's on the balancer.

I took off the front drivers side wheel and re torqued the lugs. Seemed to help? I run a staggered set up.

As far as the smoking goes, its bluish white, I can guarantee its oil. I can't believe it would be rings? This car has been babied and never abused. This is the first time I've seen it smoke this badly on a hard acceleration.

SVT-666

Established Member
Get the car 30-40 mph then slight go left to right. Like those commercials with the drunk drivers. If the noise/wobble changes or goes away from side to side. Then you need a wheel hub

Users who are viewing this thread