Slow track times....whats wrong???

95 cobra vert

Established Member
Hey everyone, i took my 94 out to the track for the first time tonight and was kinda dissapointed, this car has plenty done to it but doesnt seem to be goign as fast as it should be. Here is what is done to it from my knowledge......Mac cold air, 410 gears with Nitto drag t/a's, bassani xpipe, twisted edge heads, headers, steeda tri-axe. I own a 95 vert and i can run that at 14.4-14.5's all day and that has 150k miles and bone stock. Now this 94 has all this and i was only able to push a [email protected]. i will list the complete times below, but that seems a little off what it should be. My friend has a 97 with k&n filter and thats it and he has ran it down to a 13.65. When i punch my 94 it feels like it is taking off like a rocket and it feels quite a bit faster than the 97 and it puts the 95 to shame. I was not power shifting but i was shifting very quickly. here are my best two runs....

reaction:
I1:
I2:
I3:
MPH(I3):
I4:

E.T.:

95 cobra vert

Established Member
Hey everyone, i took my 94 out to the track for the first time tonight and was kinda dissapointed, this car has plenty done to it but doesnt seem to be goign as fast as it should be. Here is what is done to it from my knowledge......Mac cold air, 410 gears with Nitto drag t/a's, bassani xpipe, twisted edge heads, headers, steeda tri-axe. I own a 95 vert and i can run that at 14.4-14.5's all day and that has 150k miles and bone stock. Now this 94 has all this and i was only able to push a [email protected]. i will list the complete times below, but that seems a little off what it should be. My friend has a 97 with k&n filter and thats it and he has ran it down to a 13.65. When i punch my 94 it feels like it is taking off like a rocket and it feels quite a bit faster than the 97 and it puts the 95 to shame. I was not power shifting but i was shifting very quickly. here are my best two runs....

reaction: .263 .088
I1: 2.052 2.076
I2: 5.784 5.844
I3: 8.875 8.943
MPH(I3): 79.128* 79.234
I4: 11.597 11.592

E.T.: 13.875 13.826
MPH: 100.246 101.853
*(missed 4th)

This was my first time on drag tires and i was heating them up. All my friends and i figured that i would be running AT LEAST mid 13's but i guess we were wrong. Our best guess so far is that all the different parts on it dont quite match well together oe something so i was thinking on taking it to get dyno'd and tuned. I was just hoping that one of u out there know what else my be causing this. Im sure alot will think its maybe the driving but im pretty sure its not, but who know. Anyways any help is happy taken. Thanks everyone

P.S. it was reallt hot and humid today, but still not sure if that should make all that much of a difference....thanks

94CobraPace

Established Member
The weather has a lot to do with the times. I have seen the times be .5 seconds drop from their best times before.
The 101 trap speed says you should have faster times. Were you spinning? Granny shifting?
Putting it on a dyno with a wide band O2 to see if the air fuel ratio is good would be a good idea.

96SVT_2_NV

Established Member
i dont know much about 5.0, but arent the 3.73's better in the 5.0 then the 4.10's are?

SVTINBLAK

Established Member
If you really want to get the most out of your Cobra you MUST get a chip burned for it! The stock eec pulls out sooo much timing the faster you go..especially in the higher gears!Its seems to fall flat on its face doesnt it? I've been there and done that....
Spend a few hundred dollars and get a chip burned for it ...you will be glad u did!If you dont plan on getting blown anytime soon,I would look into a chip!

95 cobra vert

Established Member
yeah, on my launch i was bearly spinning. I wasnt granny shiftin i was letting about half off the throtle, but shiftin hard. I was planning on blowning it, but with all this i was thinking a dyno and chip are first. Yeah the guy i bought it from mentioned the custom chip idea so i will definetly do that. alright thanks everyone

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by 94CobraPace
The weather has a lot to do with the times. I have seen the times be .5 seconds drop from their best times before.
The 101 trap speed says you should have faster times. Were you spinning? Granny shifting?
Putting it on a dyno with a wide band O2 to see if the air fuel ratio is good would be a good idea.

The same sorta thing happened to me and IO believe it was the weather. I had just finally gotten my new DRs on. My previous best was 13.59 @ 106.3, so I figured with a half ways decent launch I should be able to hit high 12s. Well it just wasn't happening, my best time was 13.45 @ 102. The first indication that something was wrong was my trap speed being so much lower then before. I've run in the 105 range pretty consistantly, so I expected at least that high. All the other cars there seemed to be running slow as well, especially the supercharged ones - one lightly modded '03 Cobra that had previously run 12.5 couldn't do any better then 13.1.

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
yes but at the point where he had run those runs, it was about 8 at night at least, and had cooled to about 80 degrees, which what we had at GMvsFord. I still think it is in the tuning, but hey im not always right:shrug:

95 cobra vert

Established Member
now i read somewhere that upgrading the chip wont do as much as people say it will. I have also heard many people say it will do wonders. So now i am not sure, is it worht it to get it (the chip)? Some are saying it just needs to be tuned so now i am really not sure what to do

SVTINBLAK

Established Member
You HAVE to have a chip or progarmmer to overide the stock eec settings!Like I said....the 94-95 are all about emissions and fuel economy.My car,with the blower,made about 413rwhp and 436 on the torque,thats about 460ish at the crank.
I wish I could guarantee your satisfaction with buying a chip...I just dont see you being dissapointed at the hp gain. Our cars come from the factoryare not ALL that bad. The heads,intake,cam and stock 24's are a good start...add full exaust,larger throttle body and mass air and I think you will be satified!I had all this,except the blower and I ONLY could run an 8.8 in the 1/8!
Thats says alot I think...a stock cobra,with what it has,should do better than an 8.8..
Good luck with whatever you decide!!

95 cobra vert

Established Member
alright, i was planning on getting one still i just wanted a little more reasurment. anyways, my best 1/8 mile time with all that was 8.875 and i have all that done, thats what my problem is...

Users who are viewing this thread