SLP X-Pipe + SLP Loudmouth = Total Crap!!..(Long but worth it)

86style

Established Member
i know, i know, i said it sounded good at first but let me tell you, this combo is just about the worst sound ive ever heard.

let me tell you my brief story... started with just the loudmouth. I liked it alot, a little on the quiet side with my stock h. i thought it was similar to my 03 cobra with the stingers. anyway, i decided to add the SLP catted x pipe on Friday and....

I honestly dont think SLP ever listened to this combo before they sold it. it is the raspiest, ugliest, dog crap on your shoe sounding exhaust i have ever heard. It was so bad sounding that my wife, who isnt into cars, told me to change it before i embarass us both.

at idle, the exhaust was burbley and up to 2000 rpm's, it was ok...as long as you dont crack the throttle open. when you go WOT, it sounded like i had 1,318 tin cans tied to my bumper with string, dragging on the ground.

Now, dont get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion and exhaust sound is very subjective, but...there is no way in hell any car enthusiast would ever say it sounded good.

as for me...i left the catted x-pipe as is and just cut out the loudmouth mufflers and put in two chamber flows. It sounds unbelievable to me and it is the best exhaust combo ive had on any of my five stangs. Really, i swear.

So let this be a lesson to any of you considering the loudmouth/catted x-pipe combo. do yourself a favor and hear one in person first before you spend the dough.

p.s. no disrespect to the SLP guys.
:rolling: :-D

-pete

86style

Established Member
i just wanted to add that the SLP parts are top notch in quality and are very nice pieces by themselves. the combo of the two is where the problem is.
i guess the loudmouth would not sound good with any x. not sure how it would sound with an aftermarket h.

-pete

sam

Established Member
sorry to hear that. a few people that heard this system seem to agree with you. slp research from the beginning has always been with gm. now with the dicontinued f bodies, they seem to try there hand at ford products. it's still new and im sure they will hear the feedback on this. good or bad.

Phxcobra

Established Member
Hmm, I like my SLP catback with Bassani catted-X. To each their own I guess.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya, it belongs on the Crapmaros. SLP is only trying to compensate their shitty product on mustangs because the LS1 is pretty much done with.

whippleblown03

Established Member
i have a friend who just put a slp loudmouth on his mach 1. he is waiting for his x-pipe its on back order. i want to tell him its going to sound horrible but i dont have the heart. i do agree they are a quality built system. but when you get high flow or no cats look out.:bash:

86style

Established Member
Originally posted by Phxcobra
Hmm, I like my SLP catback with Bassani catted-X. To each their own I guess.

it might be the size of the SLP cats or the "x" design in the SLP x-pipe that creates the sound.
I am pretty open minded and like different exhaust sounds, i just dont see how anyone could say the loudmouth and SLP x sounds even decent.

its really that bad, bordering on unbearable.

-pete

86style

Established Member
it was actually pretty easy. cut out the slp mufflers (sawzall), which are really just resonators, and put two chamber flows in their place. i clamped them in place. they fit like a glove, right where the stock mufflers used to be.
the flows have an offset inlet/outlet (aligned), just like the stock muffler inlet/outlet and they lined up perfectly without any modification.
actually looks like a complete system, no hack job.

-pete

86style

Established Member
nope, didnt hear or see anything leaking. SLP is "clamp Happy" anyway, so whats another four clamps.:rollseyes
i was gonna weld the flows in but wanted to be able to take them out if i needed to.
could always go back and weld them if they start leaking.

-pete

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
That's what you get for putting chevy parts on a Ford. Imagine if you saw JDM parts on a vette. :nono:

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Contributing to a repost is like taking your kids to Disney Land after they set your house on fire.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
SLP =
41031.gif

gatzer

Established Member
I have the same setup, and yes I agree with you. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Putting in Flows. At WOT to me it sounds like a couple of tommy guns going off. Since you put the flows in do you have any drone. I had the Flow CB and Bassani catted x on my GT and at highway cruising speed the drone was unbearable.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
wow...

well as 86 said, i also have the slp catback with stock H. i was skeptical about it and so were all my friends but i did it anyways. i LVE it and my friends that were skeptical like it too. as for the x-pipe, ive never liked the sound of x-pipes anyways. im going to try a catted H, not sure which yet though.

tj4891

Established Member
i got slp x pipe wit out cats and lm2s sounds really good, not raspe at all but you should of looked into it alittle more i think alot of people could of told you that

Users who are viewing this thread