Smaller FL-820S

BT1288

Established Member
I changed my oil today and noticed on the oil filter box, it said, "New size, same performance". I new when they said new size, it wasn't going to be bigger. I took a side by side comparison pic. At least they're still made in the USA.

001-28.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Motorcraft made that change a few months back. I suspect it is so they can fit it on more vehicles and reduce the number of different filters they have to stock. Then again, it could have been a cost cutting measure.

Robert Francis

Established Member
If you check all other comparable sized filters in the past, you'll find they're "all" the new "smaller" size. I noticed that back in about February or so of this year when changing the filter on my Ranger.

I would suspect this is just a cost savings measure on the part of the filter manufacturers.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Hmmm, I'll be curious about the "same performance" part. Whenever companies go to cutting costs it seems to mean there also cutting corners and the consumer is about to get screwed.

BT1288

Established Member
Motorcraft made that change a few months back. I suspect it is so they can fit it on more vehicles and reduce the number of different filters they have to stock. Then again, it could have been a cost cutting measure.

If you check all other comparable sized filters in the past, you'll find they're "all" the new "smaller" size. I noticed that back in about February or so of this year when changing the filter on my Ranger.

I would suspect this is just a cost savings measure on the part of the filter manufacturers.

I guess before, I picked up some of the older ones and didn't notice.
There are probably some of the older ones still out there.

Users who are viewing this thread