smog legal in cali

SUPA SNAKE

Established Member
hello everyone, im new here and i have a question.if i were to change my03cobra to a stroked alluminim block would i have to worry about my car not passin smog prvided that i keep all the smog equip.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
If you keep your smog equipment all the way around you will pass fine.

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
03yllwguy said:
If you keep your smog equipment all the way around you will pass fine.

I would'nt be so sure. You have to meet the emissions/sniffer tests, so
I would be cautious about this. Just MO, but the smog laws are tough
and technically, you will be illegal with a stroker.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You get a 3 year grace period here in AZ.

You are correct...with the stroker, you are no longer legal since that engine wasn't certified. But how could they tell that? They couldn't. So as long as you can make it pass the sniffer test, you will be fine...which is the way it should be anyway. Honestly, as long as you don't change your cams, I'm betting it will pass.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
SUPA SNAKE said:
hello everyone, im new here and i have a question.if i were to change my03cobra to a stroked alluminim block would i have to worry about my car not passin smog prvided that i keep all the smog equip.
New cars are fifth year of registration. After that every two years.
If it has stock cams, smog and four stock cats it should pass visual and the sniffer.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
CPViolation said:
If it has stock cams, smog and four stock cats it should pass visual and the sniffer.

bingo.

hell, even if it had cams, with all cats and a tune, it will still pass.

Juiced-03

Established Member
CPViolation said:

I don't know what you mean by 'fifth year of registration' but you don't need your first smog until 6 years after the model year. So 2009 for all of us original owners.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I don't know what you mean by 'fifth year of registration' but you don't need your first smog until 6 years after the model year. So 2009 for all of us original owners.
How do you figure 2009 if your car was orginally puchased in 2003? It's from the original purchase date not from the date of xtranfer of title from one owner to the next. I bought mine new in 2004, 2004 counts as one year.

Juiced-03

Established Member
CPViolation said:
How do you figure 2009 if your car was orginally puchased in 2003? It's from the original purchase date not from the date of xtranfer of title from one owner to the next. I bought mine new in 2004, 2004 counts as one year.
They go by model year not the year of purchase.

Juiced-03

Established Member
From the DMV website:

"Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 6 or less model-years old are exempt from the biennial Smog Check inspection requirement. For vehicles with registration renewals due in the 2006 calendar year, this exemption includes model-years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006"

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
From the DMV website:

"Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 6 or less model-years old are exempt from the biennial Smog Check inspection requirement. For vehicles with registration renewals due in the 2006 calendar year, this exemption includes model-years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006"
Gotta love DMV, looks like a lot of rules changed within a years time. Just got my 2000 Taurus smogged for the second required time.
Thx for the info.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread