Smog Legal Shelby 5.4 swap into my 4.6 GT?

JoeS197

Established Member
So I tried searching around different forums as well as here on SvtPerformance and I've had no luck finding and info on this swap. I live in California and they're strict about everything, but seeing that the motor was offered in the same chassis would it be possible to do? I'm aware of some of the rules such as, the engine has to be newer than the one your taking out, has to be from a car not a truck, same company, etc.. But I've heard of some guys with foxbody's who swapped a pushrod 5.0 into their 4 cyl cars with no hassle form the smog refs so I figure the same thing would apply to my situation? :shrug:

01silverstang

Established Member
I think you have it right. If you are going to swap a different engine into your car it must be from the same year or newer (no older engines) and as long as it passes emissions then you are good to go.

draxxus131

Established Member
Ya most of that is correct, except the whole truck/car excerpt. As long as it is of the same year or newer it is smog legal in california. For example I have seen a 280z nissan/datsun with a toyota 2jzgte motor swapped in BAR and SMOG legal. You absolutely have to go to your local referee station and have them B.A.R. the vehicle, basically stating that it (engine) and said chassis are safe to operate on any given public roadway. To have it B.A.R. approved is as simple as paying for a piece of paper that is a certificate and then paying for the smog fee which is only $35.00, the certificate is about $4.95 I believe. People selling a B.A.R. approved car on CL convince the masses that it cost hundreds of dollars to do so.

Also one last dissertation, if the manufacturer decided to have a split year, therefore introducing a revised version of the same size engine. You must choose the newer generation engine of that split year!

Users who are viewing this thread