smog question about L/T's

RedSnake_99

Established Member
so i currentley have bbk longtubes and an off road h. its how i bought the car a while back. i have to get a smog sometime soon and im reading different things online about what is legal and what is not. if i have longtubes with a catted shorty h can i pass a smog? or do i have to take the longtubes off and put a full length catted mid pipe on?

2nd2none

Established Member
Dont know of any longtubes that are smog legal in CA so I'm thinking you'll be stuck pulling them off to legally pass the visual. Theres a chance with a catted H pipe you will pass the sniffer and the tech won't notice the longtubes on a visual inspection.

mariosvt

Bazinga
Established Member
Pay an extra $100 to have someone "pass" your smog.

Save your time.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that does.....

mariosvt

Bazinga
Established Member
lol ive been looking for weeks!

I believe you.

They became harder to find ever since CA emissions became stricter.

For the ones that are still around, they more than likely won't be doing the "favor" for randoms off the street. You would have to be recommended by someone.

I believe there was a thread in this "California" section a while back in which they were asking if there was somebody who knew somebody that would "pass" your SMOG. But I'm not sure....

Last edited:

svtaddict

Established Member
even if i did know somebody i would be highly suspect of people asking for recommendations to smog shops not trying to be a dick but the only way your gonna find one is to risk going to one. also there are alot of smog shops that dont really check for longtubes and such ive noticed most of the time thay just check for the physical smog equipment. just dont go to a "brandname" smog place. find a smog place in the shitiest ghetto you can find this generally does the trick ive noticed

svtaddict

Established Member
oh and as long as your egr is "on" then you should pass with the shorty catted x or h

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Some techs don't thoroughly do the visual. Stock tune, with all monitors on, even with the cats it will be close. The LT's dissipate alot of heat so the cats don't get as hot as they need to be. Worth a shot, before dropping the k member and doing the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread