Smoke from engine at stop light

TK Doom

Established Member
About a month ago when I pulled up home after turning the engine off some smoke came from the engine compartment, I opened the hood and couldn't place it. I thought I drove through some water and maybe it was steam, so i let it go.

Today at a stop light I saw the same smoke coming out again. Any ideas what it could be? The temp gauge always goes straight up (in the 12 oclock) position all the time and never moves.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Did you run into a water puddle again? I ran into a big azz water puddle about a week ago and saw the smoke coming out at a complete stop.....scared me "shitless"! :shrug:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Smoke as in--white haze? Also, any smell? Could be water condensing off of a hot radiator/HE/exhaust manifolds etc. If the smoke has smell, then definetely oil/power steering fluid leaking and burning off a hot surface.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
anvrsy red vert said:
Smoke as in--white haze? Also, any smell? Could be water condensing off of a hot radiator/HE/exhaust manifolds etc.
Yup, that was my problem!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I didn't do anything! It just went away....Is it constant smoke or is it only happening when you run through water puddles? It only happened to me once.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Sometimes if you run through a puddle that has some oil or other crap floating in it, you'll get a nasty smoke coming from your cats down low.

As long as you're not smoking in dry weather you're fine. Otherwise, use your sniffer. A sweet odor will indicate a leaky coolant hose. If it's coming from the back or under the car your heater core or a hose to the core could be leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread