Smoke from passanger side head area, inside the engine bay and few other questions.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
So I noticed smoke with the motor running behind the passenger side head area. I haven't had a chance to really start looking yet. However, the motor was rebuilt when I bought it, paper work was supplied with car. I am wondering what this smoke may be? I did a quick check and saw oil at the corner of the valve corner, but did not have a chance to investigate lower than that yet. However, there is another issue. The car is blowing black smoke, usually on first start up, but sometimes if I snap Rev the motor, it will stumble, almost stall. The idle dips low. It just blows black smoke when I Rev it, whenever. Even after a long drive. Are these 2 issues connected, or just coincidence?

Why is it blowing black smoke? Where do I start investigating? My first thought was change the plugs, clean the MAF, any other advice to go with that?

What about the oil near the passenger side valve cover? Any common things with this? Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Ohh yeah, the car burns oil, about a quart per 1,000. I read this is fairly normal? The bottom end was rebuilt, but I don't think the guy touched the top end. I'll be doing my own work, fully capable. What do I need to do to the heads to fix the leaking oil (corner of passenger valve cover) and the slight valve tick I have?

Sorry for these questions, still new to the 4v motors. The Vargas 113,000 and is an 01 if that matters. Just hoping for some advice before I start pulling the motor out and doing potentially unnecessary work. Thanks guys, - Steve

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Is the valve cover leaking oil? I think everyone has had some form of this problem.
I figured the gasket was new since the motor was rebuilt when I bought the car. The guy showed me the paper work, I have the paper work. But I guess, he may have used the existing gasket, that's very possible. I'll have to decrease the motor and check. I wasn't sure if there are other known causes of this.

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
I would clean off the area by the valve cover and see where the fresh oil is coming from. Is the oil at the top out bottom of cover? Then I think you should probably get a compression test and leak down test done. How long since rebuild?

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
I would clean off the area by the valve cover and see where the fresh oil is coming from. Is the oil at the top out bottom of cover? Then I think you should probably get a compression test and leak down test done. How long since rebuild?
It was literally at the corner of the valve cover, over the bolt on the valve cover. I'm just worried because when it's idling and at operating temperature there is obvious smoke coming up from that area. I am hoping for a simple gasket fix, but I'll have to grab a flash light and decrease the motor and do it that way.

Are you alluding to a potential risk head gasket? Since you're suggesting a compression check? Almost 2 years since rebuild, according to date on receipt.

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
How long have it been smoking done you bought it? Hopefully you didn't but a hurt motor. Not sure if the ticking is just the normal 4v tick or worse. Hopefully it's just needs new gaskets under valve cover or head. Maybe you lifted the head and is not sealing properly anymore.

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
Your issue sounds much better than mine. I was burning oil and couldn't see where it was coming from, hence something internal. Possible rings or something in the heads. Have to pull engine to get heads oft due to having head studs. Cheers to keeping you fix cheap, mine won't be. Lol

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Honestly, I am not sure about how long it's been physically smoking under the engine bay. I'm really not sure. The coolant seems fine, level has lowered, the coolant is fresh, obviously replaced recently.

The head tick isn't super loud. From what I've gathered I'll need to rebuild the head with bronze valve guides? Unless there's more to this head tick? The tick sounds like the dead center of the motor at the very top. Black smoke maybe it needs spark plugs, I'll be starting there. Probably run compression test to when I do them.

I'm hoping for just a valve cover, but after looking closer today, there appears to be oil coming from a bolt at the very corner of the head, holding some sort of wire (didn't follow the wire), and the oil seems to be in that range, possibly lower, indicating gasket? However, my coolant hasn't been touched one bit, bright green colored, fresh. I feel if it were a gasket it would be losing some coolant to ah extent, no? Especially if it's towards the back corner on the passenger side. I think the black smoke is different issue, unbent fuel, I'll figure that out later. Head tick, I planned on picking up a set of bare 03/04 heads and building them up. So unless damage will occur from the tick I'll leave it alone. But the oil leak, this is bothersome. I wish you the best, I hope I won't be in your position.

Users who are viewing this thread