Smoke on cold startup

99SSls1

Established Member
Lately I have noticed what looks to be a blue puff of smoke on cold start. I always notice oil laying in the supercharger elbow and normally wipe it out but its been a while. Has anyone replaced the pcv valve on these, mine has 24,000 miles? I use a jlt separtor but it doesn't get it all.
Should I just get a stock one pcv?

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Lately I have noticed what looks to be a blue puff of smoke on cold start. I always notice oil laying in the supercharger elbow and normally wipe it out but its been a while. Has anyone replaced the pcv valve on these, mine has 24,000 miles? I use a jlt separtor but it doesn't get it all.
Should I just get a stock one pcv?

Only 24k? That sounds super low to be burning off oil even with a JLT oil seperator, let alone needing to replace a PCV valve...wowza, crazy it gets so dirty that fast...

99SSls1

Established Member
Pulled the stock pcv valve and I can't get it to seal using a screwdriver and me blowing/sucking. Even when I close it it continues to leak. Now on doing searches I only find things on 5.0's, nothing on our gt500's. My pn is ev470 right off the valve but this thing has a electric solenoid on it for the closed position only. I guess I'll order one as they only run about 24 shipped.

Anybody else have a issue? My guess is they don't leak any air when closed but I guess I'll find out. Off to order one.

99SSls1

Established Member
I can't imagine nobody else hasn't had to replace a pcv valve on one of these with the amount of oil we get in out catch cans. i think I am going to get a bobs separator and run dual on the driver side after the new pcv shows up.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
For you Shelby owners using the JLT separator is it even working? It's not on my 03 cobra. I have oil going right past and see some sitting in my plenum.

EDIT: OP I just added a check valve after the separator just to try a prevent some boost leak. When I blow threw my pcv valve it still leaks air. I ordered one from Boomba Racing.

http://www.boombaracing.com/check-valves/

Here's a link to my thread I started, you can see pictures on the second page.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1062551-Removing-pcv-system

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread