Smoke on startup now that its getting warmer?

jguerrero

Established Member
Never had it before, but I noticed now that its getting warm outside, If I have the car sit for a while and go to start it up I get a puff of smake on startup. Also happens when the car is up on jackstands or ramps.

Probally just from sitting for a few days at a time, before I actually take the car out. Just weird that it has been starting with the weather change. Any opionions?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Depends on what color smoke it is. If it's black it's probably normal. If it's white or light blue, it's probably a head gasket, piston ring, or any other combination of stuff. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Check your oil every 3k miles and see how much you're loosing, if at all. The car should not loose more than 1 quart every 3k miles or so. At least mine doesn't.

(Oh yeah, did you make it to the tracks?)

Last edited:

jordanvraptor

Established Member
It is the valve guide seals. Mine has been doing it for over a year now, goes away in the winter. The seals allow a little bit of oil to drip into the combustion chamber. You start it and poof a nice cloud of blue smoke. Just watch your oil comsumption. Ford and SVT say its normal cause they dont want to replace cylinder heads. If you find a delaer willing to fix it let me know. It is not the PCV valve as some dealers will say. Had mine replaced and it still happens.

BocaCobra

Established Member
Glad I am not the only one :) I am pretty sure its the Valve Guide seals also but car doesnt seem to lose oil or else I am crazy...However, if I can get my dealer to fix it I am buying new cams to go in while the heads are off :)

toby

Call SVT and let them know you don't like it. Maybe if enough of us complain they will fix the DAMN problem. I bet you if some 60 something year old customer buys a 45k towncar that smoked on startup they would bend over backwards to fix it! Also do a search on {blue smoke} if you want to learn more.

carstocks

Established Member
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
It is the valve guide seals. Mine has been doing it for over a year now, goes away in the winter. The seals allow a little bit of oil to drip into the combustion chamber. You start it and poof a nice cloud of blue smoke. Just watch your oil comsumption. Ford and SVT say its normal cause they dont want to replace cylinder heads. If you find a delaer willing to fix it let me know. It is not the PCV valve as some dealers will say. Had mine replaced and it still happens.

If it's only happening to you in the warm weather, shouldn't you try a slightly higher viscosity for the warmer weather then? Nothing outragious, but just high enough togive you the same results you have in the coler weather...NO SMOKE.

Man, that would drive me to sell my car!

jguerrero

Established Member
Forbidden Snake: sent you a depressing pm regarding my track experience, I dare not share it here:cryying: I be the laughing stock of the Internet.

JordanV:Dont think I will be taking my car into Ford unless there is a defininte fix. It will be a pain in th ass to demod my car. I definetly let you know if I find a fix. How the Springs going?

It looks to be a little dark. Dont get me wrong, its not a lot of it or anything, Just barely noticeable, mainly if your in the garage you can see it.

Lke I said it only is that way when sitting there for some time. Once you been driving it, all subsequent startups are smoke free. I get my oil changed every 2k miles at Ford, so I would hope they do the oil changes right:kaboom: but for $19 bucks I cant beat that price. Maybe they didnt put the right oil in or something, or maybe too much?
Car is running good, no issues, no ticking. Maybe my car is running rich?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
At 12K mine just started doing the same thing! If I let the car sit all night and start it in the morning, nothing, nada, zip. Drive it 15 miles to work, park it for 5 hours and then at lunchtime I go to start it and POOF! Nice puff of blue smoke comes rolling out the exhaust. Does the same thing when I start it up to drive home... but the first start up of the day after sitting all night, nothing.

U.M.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
It is probably oil getting sucked through the pcv system into the intake manifold then through an intake valve. When I did the apten on my car there was a small puddle of oil in the valley underneath the lower intake manifold. It is unlikely to be a valve guide but yes a valve guide will cause that. I also pulled of the pcv tube that connects to the air inlet, it was wet with oil. Not a lot of oil but oil none the less. When in boost, small amounts of oil is pushed into the intake.

jguerrero

Established Member
Did anyone try using one of those breather elements (I think thats the right name) instead of running the PCV valve. I though I say some people using them with Tuckers JLT CAI. That might eliminate the 'oil getting sucked through the pcv system into the intake manifold' theory?

pic of what Im talking about...

tn_pipe%20026.jpg

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
Had the same thing happen with my Mach 1, before I got rid of it.

For me, it turned out to be slightly overfilled crankcase and sucking oil thru the pcv. The dipstick is notoriously off. :bash:

Finally put 2 and 2 together and it would only happen after I changed the oil until about 1,500 miles then would go away. Added 5.5 quarts instead of 6 next time I did an oil change and the smoking problem vanished, at least while I still had it.

Haven't had the problem with the Cobra so far.

jguerrero

Established Member
You know that may be the other reason, only happened once I got my oil changed. anyway, I just hope thats the problem. In the service write up they said they used 7 quarts of oil.

Started it up today a couple of times, no smoke at all. I have had none of the issues that anyone has been talking about so far, hopefully Ill continue on this trend.

Just want to make sure before I step up to a 50-75 shot:D

Last edited:

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
Both of you guys (jguerrero and jordanvraptor) stunk up my garage.:-D

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
Oh yea. Jesse don't you need to change your "vehicle" listing under your avatar?

jguerrero

Established Member
Originally posted by Yuckfou
Oh yea. Jesse don't you need to change your "vehicle" listing under your avatar?

Your right, never noticed it:kaboom:

trey193

Established Member
J alot of your problem is most likely overfilled to the tune of 7quarts thats way too much and as someone else said these dipsticks are off. Either drain out a quart or go ahead and change it yourself again and put in no more than 6 quarts. I put 6 in mine and it reads a tad under half on the stick.

BocaCobra

Established Member
Try this....Let the car idle for about 10 mins and shut it off...Then in about 10-15 more mins go and start it and see what happens...If it smokes alot that way then it has to be the valve guide seals.

Users who are viewing this thread