Smooth Clutch Engagement Gone

jmatero

Established Member
Are there any clutch experts who can help? I have 3000 miles... My flywheel and clutch assemblies have been replaced twice already because my clutch engagement is on/off... Meaning, I'm unable to get the clutch to engage smoothly (from stops in 1st) without the car jerking/bucking. My coworker and I purchased identical cars within a week of each other and I drove his again - beautiful progressive engagement. I drove another new GT at the dealer - beautiful progressive engagement. Get back into mine - jerk-buck. It feels like there is literally a half inch of pedal travel between ENGAGED and DISENGAGED. During the last repair they replaced everything between the crank shaft and the driveshaft. In my mind, this leaves 2 possibilities:

1: The master cylinder is the culprit
2: Something is going wrong during reassembly (grease on disc, etc)

I've been extremely patient as my car has been in the shop for this and the shifting issues 4 times now. Can anyone here give me some guidance as to how I should move forward? The car is not functioning like the dozen I test drove before making the purchase, my coworker's car, or even MY car when I took delivery.

351inside

Established Member
i havent had a clutch issue sinche i bought the car in july, i wonder if im lucky or maybe its because i dont beat on the car to much hmmm

Sorry to hear man, hope you get it fixed

ViciousJay

Established Member
since day one ive beaten the shit out of my car and i have zero clutch issues unless i really beat on it and it smells a little

redrocket2011

Established Member
I initially had issues with notchiness between 1, 2 and 3rd. I put roughly 3 Oz of friction modifier in the transmission. I have zero issues now. I actually think this is the best shifting manual trans, I've ever owned. I have about 7500 miles on the car now.

jmatero

Established Member
Not to freak you out but my car was used by Ford as a test... they added friction modifier... it worked well... and Ford just replaced my tranny because engineering was concerned about the long-term effect on it.

Users who are viewing this thread