SN95 Cobra - Motor build ideas and opinions

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Stock C heads just a valve job and the ID opened up is what I would run. Get custom cams instead of re-grinds (otherwise you will have to mess with shims) I'd also get a set of BTR springs they are cheap and let you run a larger cam. Run a stock intake for now, the intake is easy to bolt on and off so get the cams/lower end built.

Manley H beams if you plan to go boost, otherwise boss or late coyote rods (same part number) will work perfect in to 600-700rwhp.

I'd run flat tops with an intake valve relief.

With longtubes you could make over 350-360rwhp easily with a very very streetable setup and strong power band.
Awesome, thanks for that info. 600rwhp would be all id ever have, if I even got that much. More like 550rwhp one day. So new coyote/boss rods should do fine. I just looked them up on fordparts.com, for all of them they are $266. Who would be good to get custom cams through?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Get the rods from Tasca or Autonation. They will be even cheaper.

I get my cams from Todd Warren. He goes by NA SVT on here or you can find him under that same name facebook group. He charges the same price as over an off the shelf grind and he will ask you a ton of questions about what your goals/specs are and have a set ground for you.

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Get the rods from Tasca or Autonation. They will be even cheaper.

I get my cams from Todd Warren. He goes by NA SVT on here or you can find him under that same name facebook group. He charges the same price as over an off the shelf grind and he will ask you a ton of questions about what your goals/specs are and have a set ground for you.
Awesome, thanks a lot man, I appreciate it.

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Ok, so I have a new-ish idea, and in a way it's simpler.

-boss 302 rods (bought a used set the other day with around 2000 miles on them for $65, SCORE!!)
- forged pistons, something around 10.8:1 compression
-billet oil pump gears
-new gaskets and seals
-new king main and rod bearings
- stock heads/cams/intake
-vortech v3-sc or sci

Basically a stout bottom end, stock top end, with a vortech.

Would like 500-550 hp.

Would this be a reliable setup?
Have any of you got a setup close to this? Just wanting a fun reliable setup and take it to the strip every month or so.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
If on pump gas, I'd drop CR to 10:1 or so. I just had this discussion with a very knowledgeable group.

Sent from Josh's sparkly pocket

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
If on pump gas, I'd drop CR to 10:1 or so. I just had this discussion with a very knowledgeable group.

That's what I was wondering, cause I'd definitely would want to run 93 pump gas. I read somewhere that you can run higher compression with a centrifugal supercharger, but id rather not take that chance. Stock is 9.85:1 So keeping it around 10:1 is probably a good idea.

96GT226410

Established Member
I'm looking into building an engine that'll put down 500 - 550 RWHP after I supercharge it. 10.0:1 even at a lower boost seems like of high for me. I'm looking at 9.0:1 - 9.5:1 and running 12 pounds of boost on 91/93 octane to get my numbers. Am I the only one who thinks 10.0:1 seems high for boost?

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking into building an engine that'll put down 500 - 550 RWHP after I supercharge it. 10.0:1 even at a lower boost seems like of high for me. I'm looking at 9.0:1 - 9.5:1 and running 12 pounds of boost on 91/93 octane to get my numbers. Am I the only one who thinks 10.0:1 seems high for boost?

The EB F150s are running 10:1 with 16lbs or so of boost. Having good gas, a good tune, and ability to keep an eye on things is important.

96GT226410

Established Member
The EB F150s are running 10:1 with 16lbs or so of boost. Having good gas, a good tune, and ability to keep an eye on things is important.

The OP wants to run pump gas. Can a tune safely make his numbers on pump gas with that high of a CR?

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
The OP wants to run pump gas. Can a tune safely make his numbers on pump gas with that high of a CR?

I suggested 10:1 on 93 pump as this was suggested to me for my C Head V1 build looking at spinning my Blower between 52-55k. Car should make 500 or so at the wheels. Besides, the dyno is just a tool.

If E85, go 10.5 or 11:1 and get a piggyback or stand alone.

Users who are viewing this thread