SN95 or Foxbody track car...options please!

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
So I'm finally getting close to finding my ideal track car and I'm looking for advice on which platform to get. I have two cars lined up: 1989 AI foxbody with full Maximum Motorsports and a 94 Cobra AI-wannabe (was building it for AI competition) with full Griggs suspension.

Both cars are similarly built though they do have their differences:

The foxbody has a built 306 with HCI while
the cobra still has the stock bottom end with HCI.

The SN95 has is aero mods (ie: TALL carbon fiber wing, vented hood, vented fenders, etc.) while the foxbody is in stock LX trim.

The SN95 has StopTech front brakes while the foxbody has Cobra R Brembos.

Both cars have the usual race gear: full cage, race seat, gutted interior, etc. etc.

I'm a huge SN95 fan but this car is priced ~$1000 more.

I'm also a big Maximum Motorpsorts supporter (loved how it ran on my 98 FALEEN) so thats a plus for the Foxbody.

What would you guys consider a better car for the track?

Foxbody vs. SN95
Maximum Motorsports vs. Griggs
HCI 306 vs HCI 302
NASA/SCCA legal vs. NASA wannabe
$1000 more vs. $1000 less

Opinions please..:beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
SN-95.. If it has a Wattslink it's waaay better than a panhard.. I've had both and it's a night and day difference.. Get the SN95.. It's worth the extra 1k. imho

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
If you're not immediately getting into AI, I'd go with the SN. I'd think the Stoptechs and the Watts would justify the extra $.

If you are going AI, I'd get the completed Fox since you'll probably be putting additional $ into safety gear and consumables.

Which car has the better cage, fire system, etc?

wheelhopper

Established Member
For me it would depend on the quality of each car. Also the which I thought was more reliable based on leak down and compression test. You may want to consider what would be the cheaper car to run as well.

Established Member
1K on a 3K car is a big deal. Not so much if you are already over 10K price. I'm partial to the SN95 as well, but wheelhopper hit it on the head. Buy the one with the better bones. Everything else can be added or repaired. One question, is there any damage history to either car?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys! This is great feedback.

The sn95 has the Griggs setup but does not have watts link. It still has the pub/ta setup. The build quality seems a bit more detailed on the sn95, though this car does not have an scca/nasa log book so I don't know for sure whether the cage build is up to par with race standards. It does look of high quality though.

The fox body's motor was rebuilt in 2010 and was raced for about a season and then used for occasional DE. The sn95 has a stock bottom end with about 120k miles, but it was a street car/daily driver for most of those miles so I'm not sure how much better/worse this motor is.

As far as safety goes, both have a full cage, race seat, window nets, and fire extinguishers (no fire suppression systems in either). Both setups are basically similar in the aspect of safety.

The price is $6500 for the Foxbody with scca/nasa logbooks while he sn95 is $7500 without any logbooks. Though I do not plan to race in any series, it would be nice to have that option if the time came.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Even still the Watts link is like $800 then you can sell the panhard bar.. I'd still get the SN.. The 306 you know has been beaten on to death so you might need a rebuild on that motor anyways, in which case the SN 95 might need one too.. BUT the stock bottom end cars are pretty freaking stout.. I've seen some Pushrod motors run for days getting beaten on... Griggs you can also upgrade to a SLA if you want, Watts link etc.. Taking it in step.. Damn it I wish my car was running I'd have you just come drive my car lol.. I'm not lying when I say it's a night and day difference with the watts link

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
So, I ran into a little dilemma. The owner of the sn95 called me last weekend and said he no longer wants to sell the car. I told him I'd be willing to pay asking price if he wait a until after Xmas, but he said he still doesn't know. Im going to call him after the holidays and see what he says.

That being said, I ended up checking out the doxbody AI car yesterday. The car seems very solid, no body damage and the motor abounded really healthy. One little issue it has is that the original dipstick hole is not plugged and spits oil when reved high. I was told its a pretty easy fix so I'm not too concerned. If the sn95 deal falls through the foxbody will definitely be in my garage for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread