Snow mode / I'm famous! (Sort of.)

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
We finally received our first real snow in IL; We maybe got 3 inches or so. I was on my way to work, going about 50-55 as the interstate was still mostly covered in snow. I went ahead and put the car in snow mode just to be safe. My car has the Pirelli P Zero All seasons.
My wife called me and said that she was watching the news, and the new reporter said "Road conditions are not horrible, snow covered but there is a Mustang out driving right there so it can't be that bad out!" And sure enough, it was my car driving down the road! Haha.

I'd say this about the snow mode. You can definitely tell a difference from driving it in normal mode. Power is cut, traction control seems totally different. I was able to get to work driving carefully and not being an idiot. I did come to a stop and try to go up a fairly steep hill, and made it up after a little effort, but that was the most of my issues. I was able to get through some deeper snow without much issues in town.
If my car had winter tires on it, I bet this thing would be perfect. I just cant justify buying winter only tires in a state where Winters are such a hit and miss. Plus driving those on non snow covered roads wears down the tread pretty fast from what I've heard.

But the snow mode is pretty nice! I was going about 20 MPH and tried to floor it in the snow, and you can just feel the car not allowing the tires to feed all the power, but moderate it correctly to prevent spinning out.

So all in all, I survived my first snow commute. I was a bit scarred from my previous experiences in my '97 GT without any TCS even..Heh.

helloWorld

Established Member
Plus driving those on non snow covered roads wears down the tread pretty fast from what I've heard.

I purchased my current set of snow tires October of 2014. Had them on from November '14 to May '15. Put them on again November '15 and still have them on now. About 15,000 miles on them and I with the way the tread looked this morning, I could probably put them on for at least two more winter seasons (November through May.)

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
I purchased my current set of snow tires October of 2014. Had them on from November '14 to May '15. Put them on again November '15 and still have them on now. About 15,000 miles on them and I with the way the tread looked this morning, I could probably put them on for at least two more winter seasons (November through May.)

Which tires did you buy? Assuming you did all 4?

helloWorld

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread