Snow Performance Boost Cooler

RedSquad7

E.D.209
Established Member
http://www.snowperformance.net Anyone have any experience or knowledge of how this system works and or how safe it would be? Seems like this would be a way to deal with high S/C heat on the street/strip. Looks promising to me...Never heard of anything like this though (Water/Methanol Inj.)

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
There's quite a bit of info about this if you search the forum. After careful consideration, I came to the conclusion that this would NOT be a good idea on our Cobras. I won't take the time to explain why, but I got my answer by searching past posts.

I think you would be much better off with a smaller shot of nitrous!

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Thought about this for a while too.. Just didn't seem like a good idea.. You would constantly have to worry about filling the tank with what ever you were using to spray, and if you massed with timing, and ever ran out, then you're screwed.. I say, just get a small shot of NO2, and be done with it.

YGETV8

Established Member
General consensus is that if injected above the blower rotors, it could harm them. That was from Lightning owners past experience, but I think the Cobras have a different coating?

Also, not much room in the blower case below the rotors to drill and tap for nozzles, either (I looked!). Could possibly be done with some work.

That said, I have used similar alky injection set ups on all three of my Turbo Buick Regals since '94 with great results!

Yes, you need to be somewhat diligent about keeping the alky reservoir full, but you really don't go through all that much in day to day driving.

I am still tinkering with the idea, but imagine I'll wait till post warranty time what with the plumbing and wiring required.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
coleman, I looked at doing this, but there really is no way to do it. The intercooler tubing setup that goes through the intake manifold screws up that process. Mark from LFP is soon to release a phenalic spacer that will fit between the plenum and blower. Good thought though. I looked at every angle for several hours and it would really cost big bucks to come up with a solution.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by YGETV8

Also, not much room in the blower case below the rotors to drill and tap for nozzles, either (I looked!). Could possibly be done with some work.

Is there room to run a line into the lower manifold that then splits it into 1 'Y' or better 4 'Y's that pointed up toward the runners?

The first alternative of a single nozzle pointed out across the Intercooler but after the rotor packs is awesome. That single nozzle like you said would have a tight fit. The benefit is that it would keep the intercooler washed clean of the oil vapor introduced by the PCV circuit.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
you can do a spacer between the blower and the lower manifold. You just need to make a spacer of the same thickness for the IC to blower mount.

A well known tuner is in the process of doing this for his car as we speak.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
coleman, just when you say it can't be done, someone proves you wrong!!! Thanks Wilson & Co. I did not look at spacing the intercooler an equal amount. I looked at modifying the tubing setup...dah.

JerrK, It looks to me like your thought process would work with the phenalic spacer. The spacer that would go between the blower and the intercooler could be plumbed with nozzel's to spray NOS or Water/Methanol. I just don't know how the spray would be affected by the rotor wash. Maybe 4 well placed nozzle's in the spacer? I don't believe it would be a good idea to have the nozzle's pointed towards the intake runners, because it may interfere with the fuel injector spray. I will look at spacer solution. The pluming can be handled all throught the spacers. Something to think about!!!

coleman

Established Member
Richo :lol1: ... yeah, whatever.
where there's a will ... and ample $$$, anything can be done :p

YGETV8

Established Member
I was thinking that at least a couple of nozzles would be needed or even a spray bar set up to evenly distribute the alky (or NOS) across the IC. Sounds like the spacer idea is going to have the nozzles below the IC in the intake area, though. Wonder which would be more effective for alky: before or after the IC? Higher temps above the IC might flash the alky better? I'm no chemist, so I really don't know about that stuff!

I can tell you that I have experimented with pump gas and alky at up to 28 psi boost on my Buicks!

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
I am thinking that a couple of spray bars built into the spacer should work well. This would go between the intercooler and the blower.....:)

mbuono

On-Track Instructor
Established Member
I have been using Water/Methanol on my Kenne Bell for 2 years with good results. Injected before blower.
Have lots of street, drag racing, auto-crossing and road course time using the W/M injection.
Here are a few threads about water injection and some of the tests I've done.
I have a digital therometer with K2 probe that shows temps drop between 40 and 60 degrees after blower when using water injection.

Mike

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=456879

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=354370

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=401158

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403696

YGETV8

Established Member
Some convincing arguments in those threads (the parts I read, anyway... LONG!). I am still wondering, though: since we (us '03 people) have a fairly decent IC and I am seeing only 120-130* intake air temps (IAT2), if there would be all that much to be gained? How much lower would water/alky take the temps if Im only 30* above the inlet air temps?

The portions of those threads I read are citing examples in non-intercooled applications where the benefits would obviously be enormous!

Last edited:

wjfawb0

Established Member
On another forum I was told that the teflon tips on the Eaton rotors will be damaged by the methanol. On a KB it works fine. The kit seems to be working well for centrifugal, turbo and twin screw blown cars, just not the roots blown cars.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread