Snowborders come in!

ixi

What Would Fonzi Do?
Established Member
Well it becoming that time of year again, yay winter:rollseyes
Well anyways, I want to start snowboard again, I did a couple years ago and loved it, but fell out of it. I was just wondering what was some pretty good start up gear(board, boots, jacket)? Dont want to spend too much, but i dont want to buy new stuff next year. Any help would be appreciated!

Floof

McDoof
Established Member
Foursquare and Alphanumeric clothes for what I wear, Lib tech boards are my fav, only got to use one once, but it was awesome. Flow bindings because they have the security of traditional bindings and the ease of use of step-ins. I like my Ride boots, warm, keep the snow out and keep my feet secured.

Right now I have a Rossi Imperial 149(and I'm 6'2, so it's damn short but easy to spin), I've had for a few seasons, with flow bindings and Ride boots and the clothing mentioned above. Volcom also makes some quality gear, I have some volcom pants that look like ultra baggy gray denim jeans, and I love em. I need to get a new setup too, if I plan on hittin the snow this season at all.

BTW, I've been boarding for 15 seasons now, not including last year because I didn't go at all last year.

What are you looking to do with boarding? Slalom racing, just cruising, powder carving, park, pipe??? Depending on what you want to get out of your boarding trips, it can change what you look for in a board and binding setup.

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
Look into brands like SIMS, K2, Salomon, Option, Lib Tech, etc.

Right now im riding a Sims Descender 166cm and its right at my lip. I'm 6'3" and its perfect for all around. Its a great all around board, its light, snappy, etc. I have SIMS freestyle boots and SIMS Bindings with a "power ramp" (sticks out under your toe so you don't get drag when your really carvin it up).

As for Bindings, I personally don't like step ins. just doesn't feel like your attached to the board as well. If you want quick in and outs, look into FLOW bindings.

As for your boots, again, it depends on what your going to do. I have the Freestyle boots which have a tendency to give a little more flex, which is Great for jumps. Just try a Bunch on and think long term riding (Are my toes gonna bleed after 8 hours of boarding? Good pressure on either side of the archilles[SP?} tendon?[keeps the heel down] Do my feet lift up at all?[Not good]) Just think comfortability mostly, otherwise your going to be MISERABLE.

As for your outdoor wear, look into HellyHansen, Burton, Oakley, Etc. Get gloves that are GORE-TEX. This stuff is MAGIC. Cold hands make you really pissed off, especially if you suck.

As for Eye Protection, don't just get some thing that looks "totally wicked bro!". Get something that obviously has a good product. (I.E. OAKLEY, SMITH)

Good socks are a must too, I don't wanna hear about your cold feet cuz you decided your gonna cheap out and just wear tennis socks. Not only do good socks keep your toes from gettin frosty, but they keep your stinky feet from chaffing, and let your frodo feet breathe, which is good.

Also, make sure you wear some sort of long underwear type undergarment. I wear underarmor and it kicks ass. I used to use it for football, but its even better for snowboarding. It breathes, and keeps your balls toasty.

As far as pants go, Get something that comes down to where your boots start to come up. Figure about 3" from the ground, so you aren't gonna step on them all the time and yank your pants down infront of the snow bunnies. Make sure you get whats called "gator guards" or the elasticky thing thats inside that goes over the top your boots to keep snow from going inside. Do NOT get the button type, make sure they are elastic.

As for your coat, Look at the above brands. Get something thats fairly lightweight, has enough pockets to store all your crap, etc. I wear an Abercrombie & Fitch Snowboard coat (Flame suit on) and I love it. I usually end up unzipping it because its hella warm. Again, you might think of getting a coat with a gator guard because snow down your butt crack can really piss you off.

If i forgot anything, PM me, or if you have any questions, PM me.

Try Not to sacrifice anything on the Hardwear (Board, boots, Bindings), because thats what can keep you from getting any better, And we all know what that means:

Bad Gear = You Sucking = Falling infront of chicks = No poon = Gay = EMO.

-Elliott

tehnick

Inconsiderate Prick
Established Member
Never slack on the board, boots, and bindings. If you buy cheap gear, it won't last. I have always been a fan of K2 or Burton boards. I am big and tall so K2 has been the board for me. Do not get step in bindings. You will end up replacing them sooner than later. The stress you put on them will cause them to loosen up. This was a big problem with the K2 clickers. They were convenient but they didn't last. Always use regular bindings with quick release and ratchets. It takes more to get in and out of them, but you will spend more time IN the board rather than unstrapped so no worries there.

For outer wear, I am biased beause I support local companies to me like Columbia Sportswear and DaKine. GoreTek based gear is a must though. You will definitely want to keep as warm and dry as possible. I haven't been on the mountain in a LONG time due to a bad injury that I had that caused me to gain a lot of weight. I am working on getting back down to my target weight and will be hitting the mountain as soon as I get there. I just wish I still lived in Central Oregon because Mt Bachelor is tons better than Mt Hood.

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
Here's a little something to get us all amp'ed up about the season.

jussioksanenslopestyleqo5.jpg

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
First you have to choose what kind of riding you want. Like the guy above said, the styles of boards are quite different. I recommend you getting a free-ride style board, that can be used, and is light enough for park, jibs and spins...

Personally, I believe you can skimp on the board, but if you do, go with a popular brand. Most of those brands will carry a lot of the good characteristics of a board into the cheaper models...

One thing you CAN'T do is skimp on the boots or the bindings. Personally, I have a set of Burton Custom boots, and I had tried on about thirty different pairs to make sure I was comfortable. Seriously, when you go try some on, walk around the store for a good five to ten minutes to make sure you like them. A shitty feeling boot, will make you miserable, and a lot less confident.

Bindings are a bit out of my league. I bought a nice set of Drake F-60s, that I found for super cheap. So far, I love the decision. They keep my feet where I want, and I haven't had an issue with broken straps, buckles or plastic pieces...

I'm 5'9" and weigh 170lbs, and my time on the mountain is spent 85% carving, 13% attempting the park, and 2% on my ass LOL... I ride a Lib Tech Emma Peel 159. I have tried quite a few boards before I decided on this one. I rode a Nitro park board, and I almost killed myself. It was the hardest board to control. Out of the ones I tried, the Ride Timeless and Ride Prophet were great, but the Lib Tech blows it out of the water.

Some good ones that are out there: Lib Tech, GNU, M3, Burton, and Ride. There are some other great manufacturers, but I just haven't tried them...

Here is a pic of my current whip.

hhut_1916_1360890
1940-large.jpg

Last edited:

01SlobraVert

Girlie Poster!
Established Member
Ok I'm glad somebody posted this up b/c I have questions as well! I've been snowboarding a few times and love it, so I was going to try to buy a board and bindings this year. I'm going to try to get it off of ebay so it may be cheaper that way. Anyway, I'm 5'3" and I can go down the hill and all without falling, but tricks won't be coming for a while. Any suggestions on a board?

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
01SlobraVert said:
Ok I'm glad somebody posted this up b/c I have questions as well! I've been snowboarding a few times and love it, so I was going to try to buy a board and bindings this year. I'm going to try to get it off of ebay so it may be cheaper that way. Anyway, I'm 5'3" and I can go down the hill and all without falling, but tricks won't be coming for a while. Any suggestions on a board?

I'd recommend a free-ride style board. Burton has a lot of beginner boards that are great.

Usually, you base the size and make-up of the board, based on your weight. You will generally have a size 153-156 or so, if its a free-ride board. Free-style boards you want a little smaller so you can whip them around and not be all bulky.....

If you find a board on ebay, go to the manufacturer's website and make sure its what kind of board you want. Most will designate boards as to the kind of riding you want to do...

ixi

What Would Fonzi Do?
Established Member
AWESOME responses! exactly what i was lookin for!
I was just going to use it for a little of everything, i just want to do it for fun, and try some pipe if i get ballsy, lol
Just lookin for an all around board, i dont want the cheap stuff, i want something that is going to last.
EDIT: I'm about 5'10'',and 150. What size board should i go with?
2nd EDIT: Also, whats a good price? I know theyre not cheap, but i dont want an $800 board if im not going to utilize it.

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I paid about $600-$700 for everything. Lib Tech boards are around $400 or so, and the Drake bindings are a bit pricey compared to some. Don't skimp on the boots one bit. If you find a set of boots that are insanely comfortable, buy them.......

If I were to get another board, it would be solely for the graphics, and I'd get another Emma P.

http://www.surftheearthsnowboards.c...e=product/boards/MERV053.html&cart_id=0_32214

For your weight, a 157-160 will work for what you want. If anyone has a different opinion, feel free to correct me. Again, I weigh 170 and am 5'9" and I feel my 159 Emma P works fantastic.

$300-$400 for a brand new board is about usual. You can find new stuff on ebay for way cheaper though.

01SlobraVert

Girlie Poster!
Established Member
DKS2814V said:
I'd recommend a free-ride style board. Burton has a lot of beginner boards that are great.

Usually, you base the size and make-up of the board, based on your weight. You will generally have a size 153-156 or so, if its a free-ride board. Free-style boards you want a little smaller so you can whip them around and not be all bulky.....

If you find a board on ebay, go to the manufacturer's website and make sure its what kind of board you want. Most will designate boards as to the kind of riding you want to do...

Ok so I'm seriously looking now, and I weigh about 115/120. I've never had a board that big, it's usually been around 140 I believe. Does that sound right?

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
ixi said:
Well it becoming that time of year again, yay winter:rollseyes
Well anyways, I want to start snowboard again, I did a couple years ago and loved it, but fell out of it. I was just wondering what was some pretty good start up gear(board, boots, jacket)? Dont want to spend too much, but i dont want to buy new stuff next year. Any help would be appreciated!

Buy used gear if you don't want to spend alot. At least buy yourself a new pair of boots. They will last a long time and they will fit right. People that go buy new gear every winter are just plain silly. The only time I would consider that would be for an extra board through a bro deal or preferably free. I do have 3 boards though, a super long board for powder, my regular board, and my wife's ( she wants step in bindings, hates fooling around with bindings after getting off the chairlift.) The only time new boots or gear would be necessary would be if you lived out west and put 150+ days in per year. Since you live in MI I doubt that will happen.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Snowboarda42 said:
what are you looking to do? Park, Pipe, Powder? A little of each?

Also, whats your height.

Here in MI we ride ice primarily, unless you go to Boyne or Nubs Nob in the Northern lower peninsula. At least we know how to ride on the ice! hahaha.
I met a crew of guys when I went out to Lake Tahoe, ended up riding with them a few times. They said the same thing, "At least you can deal with the icy conditions" On another note, Are you guys getting dumped on from all that rain or what? I've been to Stephen's pass when there was 5 feet of fresh on the ground, it was crazy.
The long board I have is the Lib Tech Grocer, my other deck is a Never Summer. Lib Tech's have always made a killer board. I used to have a Lib Tech back in the early 90's that was a badass board. That thing took a serious beating.

Last edited:

TERMIN8DNOMORE

Established Member
Dont skimp on boots. you will thank me later. and make sure you try on a bunch of different boots. When buying boots its all about comfort. You also may want to check out the sales they have on leftover boards. Most of the time they just change the graphic on the board. You can get a real good deal on a brand new leftover. Im not a big fan of step in bindings only because my buddy broke about 4 pairs of burton step ins a couple seasons ago. if you ride hard they just dont hold up. If your going to be riding a little bit of eveything they make tons of boards for all around riding. You can also head up to one of the mountains when they have those Demo days and try a bunch of different boards from various companies.

dredg9

Established Member
I have a board that I could sell that i only used 3 times and it is perfect. I bought it towards the end of a season awhile back and never used it again. It is a burton. Pm me if interested.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
01SlobraVert said:
Ok so I'm seriously looking now, and I weigh about 115/120. I've never had a board that big, it's usually been around 140 I believe. Does that sound right?

140 is kinda small in my opinion. If you like the smaller boards, a 150 will probably be better.

What was your last board?

EDIT: I just read you are more or less a beginner. I'd find yourself a nice, used Ride board, specifically for "freeriding". It'll be slightly stiffer than the freestyle boards, but will help you hold your edges and continue to be stable. I'd recommend a 151 in that area. For a smaller, shorter board thats lighter, the upper 140s maybe what you need.
Again, this is just a general consensus. Find a board that you like, and go browse their manufacturer's website. You'll find all the information you need on the board, and might even help you decide if its the board for you.
I can try to help out if you need, just PM me. I am by no means an expert on this though, I've just been riding for quite some time and had all sorts of boards.....

Last edited:

01SlobraVert

Girlie Poster!
Established Member
Thanks for the info!! Hopefully I'll be getting a board and practicing more around here, then maybe heading to Vail, CO in a couple months!! I've found a couple on Ebay, Burton boards, most are mid 140s. I'll probably go to the store around here for snowboarding and ask somebody who works there. Thanks again!

tehnick

Inconsiderate Prick
Established Member
General rule of thumb when picking the length of a board:

Usually go for a length where the tip of the board reaches your chin, or you can even go up to your nose. Some people prefer smaller boards so they can snap into a curve a lot quicker or easier maneuverability for tricks, but you have less stability in the long run for all purpose riding.

01SlobraVert

Girlie Poster!
Established Member
So I found this board on Ebay, this is the website where the guy originally bought it... http://www.the-house.com/9844tsof5zz247snowboards.html. It's not a Burton, I can't afford one of those... Let me know if this looks like a good board or not. Thanks guys!! I just don't want to waste my money.

EDIT:
General rule of thumb when picking the length of a board:

Usually go for a length where the tip of the board reaches your chin, or you can even go up to your nose. Some people prefer smaller boards so they can snap into a curve a lot quicker or easier maneuverability for tricks, but you have less stability in the long run for all purpose riding.

I just measured and up to my chin is 146cm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread