So...DONT use the U/D balancer pulley??

9snakebite6

Banned
OK...im am kinda confused...i've been reading some old posts:read:...and says do NOT replace the balancer with the underdrive unit due to Oil pump gear failure....so...that would only leave u with the water pump pulley:dw:(also c ppl dont want alt pulley due to electrical crap) ... i just dont seem to be getting this. So if i were to order Moto's .....i dont even use the(probably) costly part in this package, but just the alt and water pump????? ....Or....Is the failure due to like 7500 rpm shifts with stock oilpump and the aftermarket balancer???(i have alum flywheel btw) ...im just looking for answers b/c i just ordered a pulley set to install once i get my intake ported:burnout: ....thanks

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
good question don't know but that looks like a pretty sweet vert. is it silver or white?(I have shitty vision)

9snakebite6

Banned
Its white....lol...So dont use it???? so there was no point in me buying the set cuz the only thing i was truely gettin em for was to lighten the load on the engine so it'll rev up faster... o and naz...i just watched(i know its like..only a year old) your 10.xx Video N/A...That car is freakin awesome...sounds great too

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
if you want any sort of ud setup, go with the march fluidamper crank pulley.

anything else is not engine safe

snakebite72

Established Member
remember the damper is there to absorb vibrations just because modular engines are (0) balance doesnt mean they dont vibrate,these vibrations are called torsional vibrations and are produced in yur power cycle (pay attantion if your supercharged or nitrous) the more power you make the more intense these vibrations are, these pulley sets that bring a crank pulley just to drive the belt do nothing to tame these harmfull vibrations that can shater your oil pump or even destroy your engine, i personaly use the march set that is fluidamped ,very nice set and i strongly recomend it.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I have the Steeda underdrives and I'm running an electric water pump. Not sure what I'm going to do when I get forced induction... Does anyone think the steeda underdrives could go bad after I add boost?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I've had the BBK's for probably about 30,000 + miles now, no problems yet. When I do my engine build, I'll probably switch to March though, or do an electric water pump. I don't take it up to red line much now. I didn't know about the piggyback system when I bought it. So far so good though.

FRiCK

Banned
my steeda has a rubber insert all the way around (as the stock one did)...installed it per torque specs and sequence...also bought a new torque to yeild bolt for $6.......

should have NO prblems....

and if i do, good thing i have a warranty...... MACH 1 MOTOR AND FR500 CAM KIT IT IS!!!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Stock or other LARGE damper is the best.

Of the reported failures (About 9 of them) that are claimed to have been caused by pullies they were on small aftermarket dampers and were turning over 7500rpms.

It is proven for the most part IMO that piggybacks are safe and everyone is going way overboard with this.

So either a large aftermarket or piggyback with stock damper is the way to go.

For those who will argue,
why are there thousands of cars with pullies without problems?

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
depends

are the steeda ones unsafe?? I had them professionally installed to ensure it was done correctly...

Depends on who you talk to... :rolleyes:

My 2 cents is that if you frequently rev to 7K an UD crank pulley may not be a good choice. The Cobra R featured the March Fluidamp ones so those may provide adequate vibration control to save your oil pump gear.

There are PLENTY of threads on this subject both on this site as well as mach1registry and modularperformance. Go do some searching, you will find plenty of info and decide for yourself. I'm not going to get into it, there is already pages and pages of people with strong opinions about this subject. For me it wasn't worth the risk.

To those that have them and have no problems, more power to ya. I'm glad they work for you and you have no issues.

The potential risk:
pump1.jpg

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Let me pose this question to everyone.

What if the March fluid damper was '0' balanced with the entire rotating assembly inlcuding a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, should I still be worried about revving this motor above 7500?

Thank you,
Anthony

9snakebite6

Banned
ok so in theory.... piggy back is actually better now?? :dw: wtf lol who'da thunk such a thing! well i only rev to about 7200 max(daily) so i should be safe anyways....thanks for helping me kinda sorta ....make up my mind :shrug:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Enough with this BS!! I wouldnt put a piggyback crank pulley on a non PI slowasballs 96 GT!!!

When you swim in the ocean, you could get attacked by a shark odds are that you wont, but it could happen. The same rule applies to the crank pulley, hundreds of people are running these with absolutely no problems. Either jump in or stay on the shore!

If you want to run the pulley install it, use a new crank bolt from Ford. Its a Torque to yeild bolt and shouldnt be reused. Follow the torque procedures to a T and you shouldnt have any problems. The March SFI pulley weighs almost exactly the same as the stock crank pulley so it should be able to dampen the vibrations just as well if not better than the stock peice.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yup run it, install it correctly and be careful if this is your first time wrenching or if you just dont have much mechanical ability. The threads in the crank pulley can be stripped out, Use the longer bolt March includes to pull their crank pulley into place.

March used to not include the longer bolt thats used to pull the new pulley on when they first marketed these kits, myself and several others on here called them up and told them what BS that was. The longer bolts are now included last time I heard.

Do you already have the pullies?

Users who are viewing this thread