So i have a couple cyls misfiring

Mark185

Established Member
The car sat for probably 4-5 days, I tried starting it last night to take it for a quick spin, and when i started it it was shaking really bad. Threw a code a couple seconds later so I connected my code reader. It said I have a misfire on cyl 1 and 3.

Tried starting it again this morning, it chugged for a couple seconds and died. Pulled plug #1 and it smelled like gas.

So, i think i either need new coil packs or wires (all original, 58k miles)

(edit: ran fine last time I drove it, and it has new plugs)

Do you gain much from an MSD coil pack, or should i just get a stock replacement? I am pretty sure I am going with MSD wires though.

Last edited:

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I've got the MSD wires, and they have been fine. I don't know about the MSD packs, but in general people seem to have more problems with the aftermarket packs then the ford ones. I tried Accel for about one week and had all kinds of problems, now I'm still on the stock ones and doing fine.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
I am willing to bet it is the coil packs. I had the same problem with my accel coil packs. Our stock coil packs are pretty good. Just swap thoughs back in.

JP96cobra

Established Member
I had the same problem with only cylinder 3 though. I changed my plugs and my wires which were the msd wires. I would not buy those wires again. Stick with the ford racing wires. I dont think it is your coil pack.

What plugs are you running?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread