So this is what I did Sunday....

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Like I said in a recent thread, I did a similar thing with an STi chasing me. My fault - I yanked it into second at the top of third gear but was able to push the clutch in pretty quick so it only locked up for a split second. I now reverse my handhold making it a lot harder to accidentally hit 2nd when pulling into 4th.

Was that driver error or mechanical? Glad your okay

MFE

Established Member
F'in ouch. The BMW guys call that "the money shift". Some people train themselves to use their hand around the left side of the shifter for 3-4 shifts just to be sure they don't accidentally come down to 2nd. Did you have a rollbar in it?

86Fbody

Established Member
For your next build don't spare any expense on safety equipment. Best cage. Best harnesses. Proper race seat. Hans. Helm. And yes even gloves.

That is the lesson I have learned from this, thankfully I am fine but I could have still be pretty badly hurt with what was in the car.

86Fbody

Established Member
Like I said in a recent thread, I did a similar thing with an STi chasing me. My fault - I yanked it into second at the top of third gear but was able to push the clutch in pretty quick so it only locked up for a split second. I now reverse my handhold making it a lot harder to accidentally hit 2nd when pulling into 4th.

Was that driver error or mechanical? Glad your okay

I think it was mechanical only because two laps prior it was hard going into 4th, it hit a wall and then went in. Probably should have taken it in after that but having dealt with the MT82 which has had that happen I didn't think anything of it.

F'in ouch. The BMW guys call that "the money shift". Some people train themselves to use their hand around the left side of the shifter for 3-4 shifts just to be sure they don't accidentally come down to 2nd. Did you have a rollbar in it?

Yeah it had a roll bar.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Damn glad you're ok.

Cars can be rebuilt. Just takes time and money. I'm in the same situation, except I didn't turn the camera on cause it was just a warm up session.

Five.Oh

Established Member
That was scary, you sir have motivated my safety gear spending.. Glad you didn't get cancelled.

86Fbody

Established Member
That was scary, you sir have motivated my safety gear spending.. Glad you didn't get cancelled.

Seriously, now whenever I see someone with a harness and harness bar instead of a roll bar I cringe, it isn't worth the couple hundred to 1k that you save in at least getting a roll bar.

Five.Oh

Established Member
Seriously, now whenever I see someone with a harness and harness bar instead of a roll bar I cringe, it isn't worth the couple hundred to 1k that you save in at least getting a roll bar.

A nice roll cage is in my future.. Cage. Cages for everyone.

wheelhopper

Established Member
So your the guy that made those tracks going off track half way down the front straight.

I was at Summit today, instructing, with a group of about 20 cars. I was the only instructor and we were the only car in the novice group. I had time to look around and noticed those tracks and thought "damn that's a nasty place to go off. That guy must have flipped", and you did.

I am going to look at the vid again, but I am thinking you have to take the blame for it. We make mistakes yours was just really bad. Sorry it happened and glad to know your alright. There is a guy down my way that does great cage work and is reasonably priced when you're ready with the next car. Just PM me if want his info.

What groups do you typically run with?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I was also out as a passenger in wheelhopper's car at SP and wondered about those.
I used to practice crossing my arms over my chest in the pits, but never was so out of control during an off that I needed to. I always wonder if I'd have the presence of mind to think of it when it hit the fan.
Are your shoulders and wrists OK?

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
So your the guy that made those tracks going off track half way down the front straight.

I was at Summit today, instructing, with a group of about 20 cars. I was the only instructor and we were the only car in the novice group. I had time to look around and noticed those tracks and thought "damn that's a nasty place to go off. That guy must have flipped", and you did.

I am going to look at the vid again, but I am thinking you have to take the blame for it. We make mistakes yours was just really bad. Sorry it happened and glad to know your alright. There is a guy down my way that does great cage work and is reasonably priced when you're ready with the next car. Just PM me if want his info.

What groups do you typically run with?

The only reason I feel as if it wasn't a mistake on my part is because I have shifted the same for years and never had an issue, though I have already changed my style to shift into 4th open palm towards the passenger side rather then closed fisted like I used to, hopefully that will help in the future.

86Fbody

Established Member
I was also out as a passenger in wheelhopper's car at SP and wondered about those.
I used to practice crossing my arms over my chest in the pits, but never was so out of control during an off that I needed to. I always wonder if I'd have the presence of mind to think of it when it hit the fan.
Are your shoulders and wrists OK?

I was sore on my shoulder, I think the left strap was not as tight as the right so I was pressed up against it more. Other than that my knee was hurting a little, what the video doesn't show is me in my hysteria trying to kick the door open before realizing I could just hop out the window.

wheelhopper

Established Member
It wasn't just the shift that was the only problem. Unplanned circumstances happen from time to time. It is how you react when it happens that makes it a great save or a terrible mess. There are plenty of drivers that have missed a shift with a different outcome. Please don't take it personal. The more time you spend in a car under track conditions the better a driver reacts to these type of things. The mind and body just become more in sync with the car and how it is performing and reacts to changes faster. I think that if the clutch would have been reengaged fast enough it would simply have been an Oh crap moment and you would have simply had a worse lap time. Sometimes the driver simply lucks out and does the right thing at the right time. Just sucks that it went bad for you. Good news is it sounds like you're determined to keep going and you'll probably be a better driver because of it.

I was asking about the groups you run with because I see you live fairly close to me and I instruct with NASA and SCMC and have never seen your car. I would certainly have remembered it.

86Fbody

Established Member
It wasn't just the shift that was the only problem. Unplanned circumstances happen from time to time. It is how you react when it happens that makes it a great save or a terrible mess. There are plenty of drivers that have missed a shift with a different outcome. Please don't take it personal. The more time you spend in a car under track conditions the better a driver reacts to these type of things. The mind and body just become more in sync with the car and how it is performing and reacts to changes faster. I think that if the clutch would have been reengaged fast enough it would simply have been an Oh crap moment and you would have simply had a worse lap time. Sometimes the driver simply lucks out and does the right thing at the right time. Just sucks that it went bad for you. Good news is it sounds like you're determined to keep going and you'll probably be a better driver because of it.

I was asking about the groups you run with because I see you live fairly close to me and I instruct with NASA and SCMC and have never seen your car. I would certainly have remembered it.

I understand you're making a point of learning a lesson, which goes without saying, and so please don't take it personally when I say that the last thing I want to hear from anyone is what could have or should have been done.

Last edited:

Sirl

Established Member
Holy Crap!! Just saw your post!
Thank god you walked away!!

Dont know what else to say!

I did a 3-2 shift my first time out with my 07. Thankfully, I caught it as soon as I started to let the clutch out.
It stepped sideways just a bit, and mashed the clutch back in, and saved it....

But thanks for sharing the video. Hopefully some good will come out of it, maybe help you or someone else in the future.

86Fbody

Established Member
Holy Crap!! Just saw your post!
Thank god you walked away!!

Dont know what else to say!

I did a 3-2 shift my first time out with my 07. Thankfully, I caught it as soon as I started to let the clutch out.
It stepped sideways just a bit, and mashed the clutch back in, and saved it....

But thanks for sharing the video. Hopefully some good will come out of it, maybe help you or someone else in the future.

As much as it pained me to put it up I did want to allow people to watch it since there are only so many things you can learn in a classroom before going out and actually experiencing this stuff first hand. I have definitely learned a few good lessons from this, so as sad as it is I didn't walk away completely empty handed.

Users who are viewing this thread