So, what do you do if your cobra should pass inspection but morons fail it?

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
My cousin just picked up an 03 cobra with just a shifter, intake, and borla catback on it. It some how failed insection due to illegal mufflers. We are in Maryland by he way. Also, at first the mechanic told my cousin that it failed because it didnt have mufflers and they would weld some in for $700!!!! But when my cousin spoke to the manager, the manager explained that the MUFFLERS on it were "illegal". So my cousin went to the state police and there is a bs appeal process that will take longer than the temp tags are good for. So, what now?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Well, I know in NY there are some stupid laws about aftermarket mufflers. I think the noise or emissions, idk. But technically I think aftermarket mufflers would fail here, but as long as the inspector doesn't have a hard on for failing people and gets off to it, you should be able to just go to another inspection station and just let them know first about it, and see if they will pass them with it.

The shop just most likely failed it because they wanted the exhaust job.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
^^ That. I failed visual at one here in CO... went a few miles away and went right through with no issues.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Are you sure is should pass? in most states it is illegal to alter the exhaust in ANY way from factory.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
You've got 2 options here. Do you have a friend with the same car and stock exhaust? The best way to guarantee a pass with no issues is to swap on a stock exhaust, drive it to the shop and have it re-inspected. After you have your certificate just run home and swap the exhausts back.

The other option as has been suggested, go to another shop. The issue there is that the State Troopers who oversee Maryland's retarded inspection program cover certain areas. If they see a car *dunno why they would but after working at several inspection station certified shops it happens more often than you think* at another place and know its been somewhere else they may make some phone calls or do a BY THE BOOK inspection or call around seeing why it didn't pass in the first place.

I have personally driven around in my truck *needed a different car inspected that I knew wouldn't pass* and asked point blank if the inspector would write a certificate for cash without looking too hard at the car. It took about 5 shops and 400 bucks but I found what I wanted. This is all up to you. Don't go in your own vehicle tho. Take a buddy's. The shops who brown nose to the cops and turn you down for a cash under the table inspection could write down your tag #, call it in to a trooper *T.I. - Trooper Inspector I think is what they are called* and then the trooper would see if you registered and inspected a car recently for the next 6 months or so. If they find you paid for an inspection, its not a fun outcome.

YES, All of the above listed items happened at shops I worked at. We never got caught/accused or did anything wrong. We seemed to always get caught up in some crap-sandwich someone else started.

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Had mine done at a repair shop in Laurel with a Bassani Catback when i bought it in 04 with no issues. For inspections in MD it just depends on who you take it to. Id ask around MACA and see if someone has a stocker you can throw on to get through. Or just go through another inspection facility. This person is just trying to sell you something.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
If the car has any kind of mufflers, it should pass UNLESS they are blown out, damaged, leak or have holes rusted out. Like others have said, do a temporary swap of some stockers to get you through.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
If the car has any kind of mufflers, it should pass UNLESS they are blown out, damaged, leak or have holes rusted out. Like others have said, do a temporary swap of some stockers to get you through.

This is true but they can still fail for noise level depending on the shop and the tech.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, I didn't realize how crazy MD inspections were. I just take my buddy a 12 pack and get a sticker. :rockon: We don't have emissions or anything though, just visual inspection.

Last edited:

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Wow, I didn't realize how crazy MD inspections were. I just take my buddy a 12 pack and get a sticker. :rockon: We don't have emissions or anything though, just visual inspection.

Yea, Its probably the most involved inspection in the country. There is probably one or two states that are worse but I doubt it. If you're an inspector and get caught doing the *Good Ole Boy Case-O-Beer* thing you get hit with some nasty fines and lose your license. It doesn't take much to make one hell of an ugly stink and not even be an intentional mistake.

TrevorR90

Banned
All 3 of my cobras had aftermarket exhaust, my 03 Cobra had borla and my 04 has Magnaflows, forgot what my 97 has. My viper has Borla.. I had all 4 inspected in Maryland and none of them failed. Go to another shop. I'll even tell you the ones I went to.

Users who are viewing this thread