solid axle group buy, who would be intersted

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Club,
The kit you mention sounds good, except the axles are not included. You would still want aftermarket 31 spline axles @ ~$200/pr.
It seems to have a lot of quality parts included though.

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Before I started the swap, I called around to numerous wrecking yards and the best price I got on a used Gt rear was $750.
Now this may be OK, for a while, but how long is a stock rear really going to last behind 600 HP? So in a few months you're right back where you started, except you paid $750 for a housing and springs, which will probably be the only 2 things you'll reuse.

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Club, you better really sharpen your pencil if you think that you can put all this stuff together for $1500. With just the pieces you have listed and a new catback @ $300, you're over $1500.

Check out the pieces that are listed above. A lot of them were at dealer cost too. If you can do it, you could go into business selling the kits. I forgot to mention that you'll also need someone who can set the Ring & Pinion up for you. At least another $100. I gave up doing that after I did a couple and had to redo them a few times. DUH!

Dana

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Club, you better really sharpen your pencil if you think that you can put all this stuff together for $1500. With just the pieces you have listed and a new catback @ $300, you're over $1500.

Check out the pieces that are listed above. A lot of them were at dealer cost too. If you can do it, you could go into business selling the kits. I forgot to mention that you'll also need someone who can set the Ring & Pinion up for you. At least another $100. I gave up doing that after I did a couple and had to redo them a few times. DUH!

Dana

Dana,

My estimates are for the 8.8 axle assembly only. My numbers aren't including the suspension and exhaust stuff. I was just trying to point out that I think you can build a quality 8.8 for around $1500 versus the $2k + you can expect to pay from DTS.

Mike

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Club,
The kit you mention sounds good, except the axles are not included. You would still want aftermarket 31 spline axles @ ~$200/pr.
It seems to have a lot of quality parts included though.

Dana

Yeah I know about the axles. I was planning on getting this kit, axles from strange and a new bare housing from ford. I just wasn't sure about this kit and if it was worth it. I think when I talked to strange it would cost over $600 to piece something like this together.

Mike

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Club "33"
Dana,

My estimates are for the 8.8 axle assembly only. My numbers aren't including the suspension and exhaust stuff. I was just trying to point out that I think you can build a quality 8.8 for around $1500 versus the $2k + you can expect to pay from DTS.

Mike

Ok, I understand now.
I thought you were referring to the complete install.

Dana

03Steve

Established Member
There are reasons I like hermann's deal over piecing it together myself.

1. He has done the swapin his 03 cobra. He knows everything that is needed, and will sell the ENTIRE kit. No missing, overlooked foo foo shit.

2. His experience. He has built an 8.8 or two, and knows what it takes to set one up. You are getting a complete rear that is professionally put together.

However, it is pricey. That is a huge drawback. If you can sell your IRS it will help ease the cost.

For someone like myself who works out of state, I don't not have time to spend piecing things together. I want to drive my car when I get home, not be pissed about missing exhaust hangers, or bushings, etc. A complete, all inclusive rear end kit with suspension works best for me. A few hundred dollars extra may be worth avoiding the aggrevation in the end.

Any opinions?

zepfloyd69

with a few places already mentioned, where is the consensus on where to buy the rear from?
currie
dts
horsepower by herman

also i think we need to start a poll or something on who is serious about this and where to get the rears from

keep me posted

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
Originally posted by twin screwed03
with a few places already mentioned, where is the consensus on where to buy the rear from?
currie
dts
horsepower by herman

also i think we need to start a poll or something on who is serious about this and where to get the rears from

keep me posted

All sound and I am sure are great! But I have to say none of them unless the come down in price. Like I posted earlier you can build a nice, solid, quality 8.8 for around $1500, give or take a little, and thats everything. The above mentioned places are either too expensive or don't use quality materials. All of this is assuming you can build your rear end. If you cant you can still get someone to do pretty cheap if you look around. My guy is doing it for a case of beer:beer:

Lomancobra

Established Member
I saw Hermann's rear perform at the track first hand. Launched at 5K and the rear said give me more as he took off like a rocket. As soon as I get the money together I'm ordering one. Hermann's jobs are always top notch, this guy knows what hes doing. You may say his prices are high, but they are fair for what your getting. Plus, if you sell the IRS you will not be out that much. If you want to gamble with some shotty unit then thats your choice, but if you want the real deal then listen to Hermann. . .he wont disapoint you. Ask anyone whos worked with him.

Here is more info on the kit.
http://modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=52681#post52681

P.S. I am not affiliated with his shop at all, I'm just a satisfied customer. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
Hermann's jobs are always top notch, this guy knows what hes doing. You may say his prices are high, but they are fair for what your getting. Plus, if you sell the IRS you will not be out that much. If you want to gamble with some shotty unit then thats your choice, but if you want the real deal then listen to Hermann. . .he wont disapoint you. Ask anyone whos worked with him.

Let me clarify a little so nobody misunderstands me. I have no doubt that Hermann would do an awesome job and deliver a first class quality product, same with dts. There is nothing wrong with giving either of the two your hard earned money, if you can afford too. All I am trying to say is after my monthly mortgage on wheels payment:)mj: ), I don't have a ton of money to spend on my car. If you got the enough cash not to have to worry about saving hundreds, well then I am jealous! If I had the extra money I would pay for it just to save the hassle & inconvenience of shopping and my own labor time. But I don't and I can build an 8.8 just as good as anyone else for a lot less. Thats all Im trying to say, nothing against any of the company's offering these products or anybody buying from these company's.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread