Solid Axle swap questions

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I've found a rear end I'm going to buy, specs are as follows...

31 Spline FRPP Axles
31 spline FRPP Diff
Welded tubes
FRPP Carbon Fiber clutches
welded tubes
3.55 gears
TA Diff cover

My question is, aside from the control arms and exhaust, do I need to buy anything else to convert it? Will the driveshaft reach? This is out of a 99-04 GT.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
You need a 03/04 Cobra pinion flange. This will allow you to bolt the stock alum. driveshaft to the SRA diff. Also you need SRA shocks.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
You need a 03/04 Cobra pinion flange. This will allow you to bolt the stock alum. driveshaft to the SRA diff. Also you need SRA shocks.

Almost forgot the shocks... thanks. Gotta do springs too.

Pinion Flange... what's the install like on this and where can I get one?

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
700 isn't to bad... if you are going to do all that to the rear... might as well get C-clip eliminators as well... Also you might consider welding the battle boxes... what shocks are you going with???

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
700 isn't to bad... if you are going to do all that to the rear... might as well get C-clip eliminators as well... Also you might consider welding the battle boxes... what shocks are you going with???

I was thinking lakewoods, they worked well on my 97 Cobra but I realize this is a different animal... thoughts? Also I'm trying to talk him down a bit on the price, thats just what he's asking.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I was thinking lakewoods, they worked well on my 97 Cobra but I realize this is a different animal... thoughts? Also I'm trying to talk him down a bit on the price, thats just what he's asking.

Order the part at a Ford dealer, it was like $40. I have Lakewood 50/50s and the ride and launch nice.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
Order the part at a Ford dealer, it was like $40. I have Lakewood 50/50s and the ride and launch nice.

Is it something like this?

05-07_8.8_Flange_02.jpg

How hard of an install is it? Need to be pressed on or anything?

EDIT: Read up a bit more... can this be installed CORRECTLY without having the rear end apart? I should just be able to bust off the nut and put the new flange on, then put the nut back on and make sure it's torqued properly, correct?

Last edited:

Speed Demon

Established Member

05-07_8.8_Flange_02.jpg

EDIT: Read up a bit more... can this be installed CORRECTLY without having the rear end apart? I should just be able to bust off the nut and put the new flange on, then put the nut back on and make sure it's torqued properly, correct?

yes thats it, and yes it can be installed without a complete tear down. if your unsure about doing it yourself, I would suggest that you let a pro do it. if you over tighten it, or have it to loose, you can kill the pinion bearings in a hurry.

what part of S.C. you in?

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
For a fast and easy install with good efficiency go with the Lakewood 50-50's if you want something to tinker with go with the QA1 adjustable... what uppers and lowers are you going with? Also if you get the QA1's get the coil over kits as well... if those are to spendy go with the UPR's... I mean you are going this far might as well go all the way!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member

05-07_8.8_Flange_02.jpg

Yes listen to Speed Demon he hooked me up.

Rice Eatr

Established Member
You will need:
1) All new mounting hardware
2) ABS sensors
3) Exhaust hangers
4) Cat back
5) Springs and isolators
6) Sway bar or ARB
7) Flexible brake line ends, if I remember correctly
8) Cobra pinion flange
9) Upper and lower control arms
10) Caliper brakes, if the axle doesn't have them
11) Shock brackets and harware, if it doesn't have them
12) Dust sheilds, if you want them
13) Anti Moan Brackets and hardware, if you want them

Personally I would pass on it for $700, I would say $500. The diff clutches are not going to last long so plan on buying a good posi unit in about 6 months (trust me, I tried that route). I would also say 3.73's are a much better gear selection over the 3.55's.

On a side note: Remember when you change the pinion flange you have to reset the pinion bearing preload and while you are there you might as well just double check the backlash.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I used to run cut Fox GT springs on my old 97 Cobra combined with lakewoods and the hook was very nice. Could I do the same with this setup?

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
You will need:
1) All new mounting hardware
2) ABS sensors
3) Exhaust hangers
4) Cat back
5) Springs and isolators
6) Sway bar or ARB
7) Flexible brake line ends, if I remember correctly
8) Cobra pinion flange
9) Upper and lower control arms
10) Caliper brakes, if the axle doesn't have them
11) Shock brackets and harware, if it doesn't have them
12) Dust sheilds, if you want them
13) Anti Moan Brackets and hardware, if you want them

Personally I would pass on it for $700, I would say $500. The diff clutches are not going to last long so plan on buying a good posi unit in about 6 months (trust me, I tried that route). I would also say 3.73's are a much better gear selection over the 3.55's.

On a side note: Remember when you change the pinion flange you have to reset the pinion bearing preload and while you are there you might as well just double check the backlash.

Where can I get the brake line ends?

Users who are viewing this thread