solid axle?

joshta

Established Member
i called MPS auto salvage to see if they had any 99-04 gt rearends and they told me they were all $800 plus 7% sales tax. Since my irs has 168k on it, they said they would give me $500 for it.

i want to set up my cobra for the drag strip and don't care about ride quality or anything. i also plan on doing 4.30's when i get the money. So basically $350 plus a new cat-back. the gear install would be cheaper on a solid and my irs is getting old.

is this a pretty good deal or do i need to keep looking?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
$800 is a good deal for a solid. And honestly I would take the $500 for your IRS, seems like a hassle free transaction. If you can hack it, get some upper/lower control arms, axles and a carrier and build the rear and be done w/ it.

JohnnysCobra

Established Member
+1 For the miles on the car I would say $500 is a pretty fair deal. And its better than holding out for a better offer and then not being able to get rid of it.

snake bite 03

Thats not bad i was lucky to find i good SRA for $600 then sell my IRS a few weeks later for $600 lol so i guess it worked out well for me.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Just my opinion, but I would not pay $800 for a stock GT rear end. Does that include the control arms, springs, etc? If so, then that's not as bad, but still not good since the stock stuff is pretty much garbage and you'll need to upgrade it anyway if you'll be beating on it at the drag strip. With my old '04 Cobra I went to a solid axle and found a housing for $100. Get some 31 spline axles for $280, used 31 spline T-lock for less than $100, rebuild it, new gears for $150-200, another $100 or so for misc. items like bearings, seals, fluid, etc. Also if you're going to be drag racing, you're probably going to go to 15" wheels, so get some GT caliper brackets, anti-moan brackets, and rotors also. They will clear 15" wheels no problem and your calipers/pads will work fine. And again, some more required mods for drag duty (IMO)......get the axle tubes welded on the solid, get the torque boxes welded, and get some torque box reinforcement plates. Oh, and don't rule out 94-98 width rear ends. They work fine and the difference in width is really not an issue, plus, they can be found for cheaper.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
if you ask around for a little bit, you can probably find someone to swap straight up with...that's what i did both times...no cost out of pocket..

99ribman

Established Member
if you ask around for a little bit, you can probably find someone to swap straight up with...that's what i did both times...no cost out of pocket..

+1, thats what I did and got bbk control arms, lowering springs and a catback out of the deal

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
i plan on doing a fully built SRA (31 spline, eaton posi tru track etc..) w/ 4.30's this may

i got quoted at 2,300 out the door. but everything is brand new

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
$800 is a good deal for a solid. And honestly I would take the $500 for your IRS, seems like a hassle free transaction. If you can hack it, get some upper/lower control arms, axles and a carrier and build the rear and be done w/ it.
i agree! definitely get some control arms at least and throw those stock pieces away.

joshta

Established Member
i've had a thread for a swap on the corral, but all the responses were a little too far away, so no luck swaping yet.

idk if $800 includes the swap over parts, but i assume they would probably trade them pretty much even for mine.

btw, i'm not looking to fully build the rearend for drag racing, just maybe some control arms, springs, shocks, and maybe some 31-spline axles if i can find a good deal on some. i just need it for the occational beating. i've got 2 bullitt wheels to put dr's on, so i won't be going with 15'' wheels. this is kinda a low budget project.

also, another question. isn't the solid axle setup less weight than the irs?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
as i recall the sra is lighter, but it increases unspring weight by about 150 lbs which is another reason it negatively affects handling (aside from the fact it sucks for turning)

Eric

joshta

Established Member
ok, new possibility. The 94-98 rearends that MPS sells are $500 with all accessories. Is the trouble worth the $300 difference?

Users who are viewing this thread