Solid guys chime in PLEASE

9900blueoval

Established Member
Im close to swapping out a solid out of of a 01 conv w/3.90's what axles/shocks/springs should i go with?????did u change the d.shaft??? Any computer problems w/ ABS???most important are u sorry u did it and is it worth it just to build up the stock IRS???

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Watch out with those 3.90's Dan, in my opinion they are too much gear. In all seriousness, I think I even heard that a numerically LOWER gear like 3.42's would be perfect for our cars. Don't ask me why or how, it's just what I heard. With a solid rear, you can launch the hell out of the car with even our stock 3.55's and more than make up for the fact that our cars are heavy and need more gear to get rolling quicker.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
IMO 3.73s are the perfect gear because of where it puts you in the RPMs running through the traps.

You will definitely want to get control arms. It helps with the ride alot as well as launching. As for springs, it depends on your purpose. If its a strict drag car, go with a drag launch kit and some lakewood shocks. I went with Bilsteins and H&R Super Sports because it still rides like a Cobra and drag racing is not all I do. No problems with the ABS Sensor or anything like that- everything works fine. The Pinion Flange has to be swapped on the driveshaft. You keep yours, GT keeps his.

And as far as it being worth it to build up the stock IRS- thats a big debate. IMO no. Its way too expensive and no matter what, an IRS is not meant to drag race, it will break. A properly setup solid is just as good as an IRS and can handle launches like no other.

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
Again i guess it all depends on what you want to do with your vehicle. i think thats something everyone should supply when their asking this question.

I agree with the 3.73s being a good all around gear, anything mroe then that would only be needed if your drag racing all the time.
Kenny Brown makes some great products for the IRS but your looking at alot of cash.

Lets see here..
Gears- FRPP
Axles- strange/Moser
Diff- Auburn
Springs- Depends on what your doing
Shocks/struts- koni/Bilstein/QA1

You will need a different sized DS, 1" longer
Shouldn't have any issues with ABS.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
i just put mine in a couple weeks ago...here is what i got

01 stock axle
31 spline strange axles w/ 3" studs
eaton posi (eaton is TOTALLY rebuildable..auburn is not)
motive 3.90 gears (love em!! can go through the traps at 120ish on 26" tires)
ford motorsport girdle
and i used the gt rotors instead of the cobra ones (fits 15" rims for slicks)

as stated u need to keep ur IRS driveshaft flange to keep ur stock driveshaft. if u are going to use the cobra brakes, u need a mounting brackets from a 96-98 cobra.

i used the stock gt control arms and springs for now...no hard drag racing. lookin at some HPM megabite control arms, heard good things about them. dont know what springs yet...:shrug:

and as for the abs, the wiring harness needs to go with the IRS. it disconnects under the rear seat. u have to get a gt wiring harness. anything else bro??

davidmax

Established Member
$;10's with a 4500 stall and C4 tranny,= a great launche,and dont forget the slicks and 700 Lbs. of Tqe. David Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread