Solid motor mounts FTL!!!!

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I did the search thing I know they suck I have them I didn't install them they were on the car when I bought it and for the life of me I can't figure out why because I hate them. That having been said I want to change them out but want some opinions on Poly vs. OEM. I don't think I will ever have big power and I want it to be quieter and have less vibration. I am thinking the OEM's because they might soak up more vibration. Just wondered if there was any good reason to go with a Poly for a street car which will only ever see stoplight action at best. Any opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
If you are going mod crazy then the stock mounts should be fine. I can't say my stockers are giving me any issues either with the extra hp.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Ya not doing anything bigger than the bolt ons lol no power adder unless a rich uncle dies lol and yes looking for no vibrations. It's just a cruiser not a racer. Just wondered if there was some benefit I was unaware of?

uofipilot

Established Member
How hard is it to change the mounts? Mine are still the factory mounts, and I'd like to change them sometime this summer.

Black Stang 97

Established Member
i went poly on my old GT 1997...
they were hardly any harder than oem... very light vibration around 1500 rpm...

Toasty

Established Member
I did the search thing I know they suck I have them I didn't install them they were on the car when I bought it and for the life of me I can't figure out why because I hate them. That having been said I want to change them out but want some opinions on Poly vs. OEM. I don't think I will ever have big power and I want it to be quieter and have less vibration. I am thinking the OEM's because they might soak up more vibration. Just wondered if there was any good reason to go with a Poly for a street car which will only ever see stoplight action at best. Any opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.

My motor mounts were shot last summer, so I installed a set of poly mounts. Fail. I hated them from day 1 - too much NVH.

So I posted a question in the 03-04 frum asking if any terminator owners were having issues with motor mounts as they increased the boost or swapped to a KB/Whipple and the answer was 'no' (3 pages of replaies).

I ordered a set of 03-04 mounts from my local Ford dealer. If memory serves me correct the 03-04 part number applies to all 4.6 Cobra's from all years now. The 03-04 mounts went in perfect, and the NVH characteristics were excellent (ie: smooth and no vibrations).

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You'll be extremely satisfied with mounts from a 03/04 car, or a convertible. I have convertible mounts in my car and like them very well.

As far as the installation, it's not complicated to do, but is difficult and will take you at least several hours. If I could do over again, personally, I honestly would have just dropped the k-member. It really would have taken me less time to do it that way, versus rocking the motor back and forth trying to pry and squeeze the mounts in and out.

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
i had solid mounts but my motor sat up too high. i ended up going with poly motor and trans mounts. like them alot, but for a pure street car just go stock

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
what did you expect, solid=solid, they will be rough.

Unless I had a drag only car, I'll use OEM every time

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
what did you expect, solid=solid, they will be rough.

Unless I had a drag only car, I'll use OEM every time

As I originally posted I got what I expected a horrible vibration but I did not install them I bought it that way and want to fix it but thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread