Solid motor mounts

11Shelby500

Established Member
Any negatives to solid motor mounts? I have solid billet alumium motor mounts from bmr with a bmr k member and the stock transmission k member. I know there is a lot of NVH with the solid motor mounts. I just want to make sure Im not going to damage the transmission. I am around 650 rwhp.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I ran a solid mount in another vehicle many, many moons ago. It's pretty hard core. I raced a lot back then, but it was still my daily. They lasted a month. There was no poly back then, or at least not used by the aftermarket, so a chain and a turn-buckle were employed with OEM mounts. I've been running poly mounts on my GT500 for a while. I can't detect any real engine movement under load and this engine is a torque monster. You will have some HV with poly, but a whole lot less N than solid. If you spend any time on the street with solid mounts, it won't be pleasant. Realize the stock mounts are liquid filled, so there's a whole lot of dampening between solid and OEM. But, I don't find the mounts are that hard to replace, if you want to give solid a go. I'm assuming BMR gives you the ability to use one or the other.

PM-Performance

Established Member
My Supra had "Semi solid" mounts that were poly or urathane sandwhiched in between metal plates. It really was not overly bad to deal with. Honestly thinking back on it they didnt really feel different than stock NVH from memory.
I have done other cars with stock mounts with prothane inserts to solidify them up. Again not horrible, but you knew they were there.

I would say if you feel the mounts need some attention, being older and wiser I would go with the less intrusive option just to avoid not enjoying driving the car anymore. I think full solid would be a bit much, but depends on your tolerance level.

11Shelby500

Established Member
Sorry I should of said I have them already installed with my BMR k member. I actually like the feel of the vibration. Makes me feel more connected to the engine. I can deal with the noise because its not that bad but the big negative is the harshness. I have heard of stories of people cracking their bellhousing on their transmission but I believe they might of been running solid transmission k members. I just wanted to make sure. I have the poly bushings so if it starts to get to me I will replace them one saturday. Thanks for the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread