Solid rear help

Lomancobra

Established Member
First off, I tried researching this subject but the search function is down.

So the warm air is back, and I can only think of one thing to do. . . mod mod mod. I am about to dip into my pocket for a new solid axel. Only, I dont know too much about them. Can anyone help me sort out my options here?

1.) 9"/8.8" - Do I really need a 9" or will an 8.8" do fine with numbers around 600rwhp? I don't plan on doing hard launches all the time, but i want the axel to hold up and be able to take the occasional beating at the track. What are the typical power limits of a 31 spline 8.8" rear? What about 33 spline?

2.)What differential - What is the benefit of going with a detroit locker? I don't really want my car to hop around turns, but I do want it to hook well.

3.) Upper and lower control arms - What brand? Are the steeda billet aluminum lowers too too weak for launching this car at the track? (see picture below) Steeda says they weigh 7lbs. I assume you need heavy duty lowers?

4.) Bushings - Like I said, I want responsiveness and stiffness, but I don't want my ride to get that much harsher, are the durometer bushings going to be too soft? Same type of bushings all around? What about housing bushings?

5.) Panhard bar/sway bar - I think a sway bar is essential, but what about a panhard bar? Do panhard bars decrease ride quality at all? I assume they would. Are they just for track cars really? Again, which brand do you suggest?

6.) Welded torque box - Can anyone explain this? What is this done for, and are there any possible downfalls?

Basically, I just want an axel that hooks hard, but suits my daily-driver; nothing that will break going over a pot hole. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lomancobra

Established Member
weightJackerLG.jpg

Heres the pic of the steeda aluminum lower control arm. Looks pretty cool, but seems like its made more for autocross than drag. Notice the cutouts. Should I be going with a steel arm?

Last edited:

04blksnake

Established Member
Give this guy a call....he builds them Cobra spesific and ships! Great guy...Great prices.. Gotera Racing.. John Gotera 901-382-5050 he built 5 of em today for shipment and local sales!

Steel City

Banned
1.) 9"/8.8" - Do I really need a 9" or will an 8.8" do fine with numbers around 600rwhp? I don't plan on doing hard launches all the time, but i want the axel to hold up and be able to take the occasional beating at the track. What are the typical power limits of a 31 spline 8.8" rear? What about 33 spline?

IMO 8.8 is the way to go. You can build a pretty damn stout 8.8 that will rob less power and weigh less than a 9".

2.)What differential - What is the benefit of going with a detroit locker? I don't really want my car to hop around turns, but I do want it to hook well.

I would just go with an eaton posi or eaton electronic locker. Unless it's mostly a dedicated track car there can be some drivability issues with full time lockers etc...

3.) Upper and lower control arms - What brand? Are the steeda billet aluminum lowers too too weak for launching this car at the track? (see picture below) Steeda says they weigh 7lbs. I assume you need heavy duty lowers?

I went with steeda hardcore adjustable uppers and hardcore lowers. No track times till the end of the month but my first impression is they are nice as hell and affodable too!

4.) Bushings - Like I said, I want responsiveness and stiffness, but I don't want my ride to get that much harsher, are the durometer bushings going to be too soft? Same type of bushings all around? What about housing bushings?

I went with regular bushings at both ends and stayed away from the spherical. I didn't want mine to ride any worse either.

5.) Panhard bar/sway bar - I think a sway bar is essential, but what about a panhard bar? Do panhard bars decrease ride quality at all? I assume they would. Are they just for track cars really? Again, which brand do you suggest?

What are those???;-)

6.) Welded torque box - Can anyone explain this? What is this done for, and are there any possible downfalls?[/QUOTE]

Tourque box's are a weak link for higher horsepower and or hard launching mustangs. I have seen pictures of cares that have completely ripped their tq boxes and axle out of the car. Many company's make upper and lower tq box kits to sure them up. I bolted mine in and they will be welded up shortly along with stitching up the seams on the body as well. I would also recommend you weld your axle tubes as well.

Im sure I missed something so feel free to shoot with any questions! Hope this helped

:beer:

Last edited:

Bad10th

Established Member
1. I would use a 8.8 if were you and 31 spline axles...you can use 33 spline but you have to loose your ABS and I didnt want to lose mine. I am well over 600rwhp!!
2. I had my solid axle built by DTS and I have a eaton posi...not too sure on the advantages or disadvantages with the detriot locker.
3. I have Steeda Hardcore upper and lower control arms and they are some nice pieces and will hold alot of power.
4. Not really sure...sorry
5. I dont run a rear sway bar at all....when you go with aftermarket control arms I dont think it is totally necessary...there is not even a way to mount a sway bar with my control arms.
6. I know it is for strength...but I am sort of dumb when exactly why and if there are any drawback...I have mine done!

I hope that helps you..any other questions let me know!!!

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by Lomancobra
thanks for the help guys. whats the difference between the eaton posi and the eaton electronic locker?

Stl03cobra, that avatar is awesome, very cool shot.

The new eaton locker has a wired in switch you can mount in the cabin. You keep it unlocked for cruising etc...When your ready to go straight line you lock it in like a spool and or locker would be. Kind of like the best of both worlds! If Im wrong anybody please correct me, I haven't had one yet.

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Steel City
The new eaton locker has a wired in switch you can mount in the cabin. You keep it unlocked for cruising etc...When your ready to go straight line you lock it in like a spool and or locker would be. Kind of like the best of both worlds! If Im wrong anybody please correct me, I haven't had one yet.

That's bad ass, maybe i can wire it to my traction control button :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread