solid rear question for my 03, need input

zepfloyd69

ive been doing alot of thinking and talking to some friends about doing the solid axle swap on my 03 cobra and i got some questions i need help with

the rear i might be swapping with is from an 03 mach 1 with 4.30 gears

i know that the gears would need to be changed, but my problem is will this rear be able to handle the power i have, right now i have 530rwhp and going to around 600rwhp soon too

i know that i would also need some aftermarket control arms, i had a post about it and many of you suggested the maximum motorsport ones. what do you all think about the x2c ones? they sell a kit with upper and lowers 50/50 lakewood drag springs and coilover conversion for 338?

will the stock axles on the mach 1 handle such power or would i need to upgrade to some 31 or 33 spline axles?

also what about c-clip eliminators, i heard that they can leak axle lube over the breaks

thanks for all the input

just want to know what im getting into and what exactly i should do

thanks

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
I think a stock solid axle is probably more durable than the stock irs. With your power numbers though I don't think it would be worth putting in unless you upgrade it and make its stronger right off the bat. I think there are products out there better than x2c but for the money that kit is a great deal. Thats actually what Im going to buy when I do my swap this winter. If I don't like it or it just sucks I will slowly replace everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
The solid rear is not necessarily better than the stock IRS.

Friend launched his 01 GT (runs 13.5s) at 3k w/ 315 Nittos on the back and broke an axle. Rare as it might be, it still did. There are people w/ the stock IRS and stock halfshafts running Nittos on 03 Cobras running high 11s and not snapping, yet.

But in the long run, the solid would be better. You could go with the solid swap, and then do an Auburn Differential, Axles, and Gears. That usually runs another $750 in parts, but should hold out to your power pretty good.

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
With his power levels I have no doubt that a stock 8.8 wouldn't do him any better. But a stock 03 cobra with a stock 8.8, I think it would hold up a lot longer without any breakage than the irs. Your always going to have your freak breakages as mentioned above but guys have been running stock 8.8 with respectable power for quite some time now. Im not saying they didn't or wouldn't eventually break but they will last longer than the irs will. My opinion of course!

Users who are viewing this thread