Some advice for the drag strip?

Chris_5.0

Established Member
Hey Guys, This is my first time posting to this side of the forum on SVTP, just looking for some advice on the dragstrip. Specifically with launching.

First of all -- details about my car:
- 2011 5.0
- 3.73s
- 6MT
- JLT Intake
- Bama Tune
- Resonator Delete
- GT500 AB

With these same mods, back in the Spring, I had a PB of 12.5 @ 116 at my club's local drag day in MD. The weather was perfect, leaving the tree at idle, and running on the stock 245 all-seasons. They're doing it again in a couple weeks and I know with the proper driver mod, I can get a better time.

My best 60' from that day is 2.02 leaving at idle. I have seen stock Coyotes leave the tree on a properly treated track at 1.8. So, my question is, what can I do to get that kind of 60' time?

This time around I'll have 255 summer tires which will help with grip, especially if I warm them up a bit. So what do you think guys? What can I do different to get my overall ET down?

**For your reference, below is my best time-slip from this Spring.

image.jpg

LT1Squirrel

Established Member
I've cut 1.9's on a proper treated track (after a pro stock event) with a supercharged fwd car... its difficult with street tires because its inconsistent, but that trap looks healthy and especially in the northeast, youll see negative DA within weeks

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
1st thing I would do is reach out to shaun@aed and get a better tune for that sucker. really need dr's or slicks to get much of a 60' time out of these cars. (Slicks are recommended for manuals as they'll absorb some of the abuse instead of your drivetrain) but yeah, about that tune if you're set on Bama atleast make them datalog it for you.

Chris_5.0

Established Member
1st thing I would do is reach out to shaun@aed and get a better tune for that sucker. really need dr's or slicks to get much of a 60' time out of these cars. (Slicks are recommended for manuals as they'll absorb some of the abuse instead of your drivetrain) but yeah, about that tune if you're set on Bama atleast make them datalog it for you.

I have the boxed 93 drag tune from them and was running that. About a month ago I data-logged it and sent them an e-mail to see if they could make any improvements on it given keeping it safe from the cylinder 8 issue. I was told that everything is running as it should and there was nothing more they could get out of it safely. Which I completely understand.

As for AED, that's on the list along with RevAuto, which I have a few friends who swear by them. If I bite the bullet on a CJ Manifold, then at that point I'll get a dyno tune.

I guess the main question I have is driver mod. What can I do better in terms of launching. I refuse to power-shift my DD, for obvious reasons, but I'd like to know what more I can do, if possible.

WGPpaintball118

Cadillac Magnet
Established Member
Don't do too much of a burnout with street tires. Spin them over once or twice to dry off any water from the water box and clean off any debris on the tires. When you get a street tire hot, it gets greasy, not sticky.

Good luck man!

sean04

Established Member
Your
Going to get a lot
Of what you should and shouldn't do with street tires at the track. But here is what I do, drop
The pressure to around 26psi or so, and I do a healthy burnout on them. Not john force style, but i do warm them
Up and get some smoke coming off
Of them. And then you need to be able to slip the clutch on launch, I'll leave around 2500-3000 and feed in the throttle as I'm slipping out the clutch. If the track is decent I'm usually able to cut mid 1.8's consistently on the OEM tires.

Your just gonna have to find what works for you, it all comes down to seat time.
The more passes you make the faster you will run

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Welcome to SVT! Right of the bat nice work! Just by your times it's looking like you've got a great feel for your car and I would recommend looking into a few things (Think Upper/Lower Control Arms, Panhard Bar, and pending how frequent you're going to be hitting MD Drag a set of drag radials/pair of drag wheels might be a great idea! I can see you're straddling the 50 post count as well. Shoot me a PM and I'll get you our forums code!

Alex

Angry50

Established Member
considering a tune/intake shaved off 2-3 tenths from stock its about right. get better tires for sure. my thoughts are you can go the more HP route or the get out of the hole faster route. I always like the more HP route. I haven't had any wheel hop issues with my factory suspension yet so I haven't messed with it.

Chris_5.0

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll take all of that into account. I currently have Brembo wheels with 255 Hankook Ventus V12's on the rear so that should definitely be a bit better than the 245 All-Season Pirelli's. As for the tune, I'm looking into Revolution Automotive. I've heard nothing but good things about them from multiple valuable sources.

Next up is cat deletes and an x-pipe for more flow, the Blowfish bracket for a bit more security and precise shifts with the MT-82, and hopefully a fresh tune from RevAuto. That should definitely get me down to about 12.2, hopefully. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread