some exhaust questions for my GT and incoming GT500 axlebacks

Ductape

Established Member
Today I ordered quad tip gt500 axle backs. I have never modded a car before, as I've always focused on my bikes. In the past i have removed baffles from the exhaust on my bikes for improved sound, and then had a tune done. Is there anything i need to consider when i get the axle backs?

also what are 'cat deletes'?? Is that referring to removal of catalytic converters or something?

thanks guys

hitmix300

Established Member
Ya cat deletes are pretty popular. They do replace the catalytic converter. The exhaust smells great after the delete..

Does your rear valance clear the new mufflers?

You probably don't need a tune for just the mufflers.

Ductape

Established Member
Ya cat deletes are pretty popular. They do replace the catalytic converter. The exhaust smells great after the delete..

Does your rear valance clear the new mufflers?

You probably don't need a tune for just the mufflers.

thank you for the quick reply. I ordered a new valance as well.
Can cat deletes be ordered for our cars? Is there a swap in kit or is it a custom thing? are they simply pipe inserts where the cats should be?

any performance gains from cat deletes?

thx again

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
thank you for the quick reply. I ordered a new valance as well.
Can cat deletes be ordered for our cars? Is there a swap in kit or is it a custom thing? are they simply pipe inserts where the cats should be?

any performance gains from cat deletes?

thx again

Cat delete require a tune. Yes there are substantial gains from deleting the cats. I just did gt500 axle back and valance swap today. Easy job just make sure you put something soft down to protect your bumper. Hope you have a hole saw or dremel. Good luck!

hitmix300

Established Member
U need a tune for cat deletes. They bolt right in but if you get an exhaust leak you'll be thinking about getting them welded. I'm sure they're some performance gain, I have heard 10hp

You can get the delete pipes from jegs. That's where mine are from. The mufflers sound good but it's almost too loud.

Nuar

Established Member
Cat deletes will require a tune (and void the warranty)
There is quite a bit of a gain with deleting the catalytic converters and the tune.
There are a few ways you can accomplish this.
One ways is JEGS cat deletes (stay away from BBK they cause a lot of exhaust leaks).
The second and better way is a full off road mid pipe.
The pipes come in either X or H configurations... X will give you a more raspy tone through your exhaust and the H will keep the deep rumble and a more refined exhaust note. Lethal performance sells the pipes if you want to check them out. I recommend you spring for the stainless versions to resist corrosion over the years.
As far as aftermarket tunes, I personally recommend Shaun at AED. He's a great guy to deal with and he is a top notch tuner, especially with these new 5.0 motors.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Ductape

Established Member
Thanks guys. As for installing the AB's and valance HAHAHAHA, i pay someone to do that since i have no tools or a warm garage. I usually wait till i have several things to do and maximize shop time at the mustang pro shop. The mufflers and valance will wait until i have a few other items to do, possibly cat deletes, panhard bar and some CF bitses to bolt on when hoisted. We are into rainy season so my stang will be sitting comfortably alot for a few months.

Ductape

Established Member
Cat delete require a tune. Yes there are substantial gains from deleting the cats. I just did gt500 axle back and valance swap today. Easy job just make sure you put something soft down to protect your bumper. Hope you have a hole saw or dremel. Good luck!

Post up a pic and sound clip if you can :beer:

Nuar

Established Member
Thanks guys. As for installing the AB's and valance HAHAHAHA, i pay someone to do that since i have no tools or a warm garage. I usually wait till i have several things to do and maximize shop time at the mustang pro shop. The mufflers and valance will wait until i have a few other items to do, possibly cat deletes, panhard bar and some CF bitses to bolt on when hoisted. We are into rainy season so my stang will be sitting comfortably alot for a few months.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...oss-diffuser-gt500-splitter-instal-guide.html

It's really not that difficult :) :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread