some help deciding?

customperforman

Drivin the Big Iron
Established Member
guys, ill be up front with you - im still on the fence about going turbo. (vice KB 2.1 kit for 2vs)

this is for a 95% street car. my goals are a legit 500 at the wheels. the main thing i want is the torque. i have a 99 GT (sorry to post in your forum) and i just want a street beast!! i want to snap necks. thats why im getting rid of my vortech kit. just not enough low end torque.

so my question is which will give me the most pull? i know all about pos dis blowers as my brother in law has a ported and pullied 03 putting down 512/500. (if i could find a wrecked cobra i would consider a transplant)instant boost. but, i dont want to just spin the tires and the slight lag in boost of the turbo may give the tires a chance and thus more pull. but this is all conjecture. so i ask you all; will the turbo give me the pull i want?

i know i can get more power out of the turbo, but for my goal, is it worth the extra currency and complexity? the only reason im asking now is i just found out i am having a baby girl in 6 months and am trying to be realistic about my finances. advice/comments are welcomed.

thanks for entertaining my questions
Rick

TRBO VNM

I think a hellion 66mm single kit would really meet your needs. spools fast and makes more power than you are looking for, so there is room to grow.

that being said, with expecting, I would highly recommend waiting till after that happens to see how the funding is. kids are not cheap and part of the reason I am still waiting. and they take a lot of time and I have seen many people selling their toys when the kids start popping out.

mustarrosa

Established Member
I would SERIOUSLY think about cost and with your car a ported Eaton off a Cobra and assemby or a twin screw with supporting parts would give you the horsepower and not kill your car or wallet (relatively speaking) since you don't have the engine built up for boost or more horsepower than 450 to 500rwhp..don't go turbo...

Last edited:

customperforman

Drivin the Big Iron
Established Member
mustarrosa said:
I would SERIOUSLY think about cost and with your car a ported Eaton off a Cobra and assemby or a twin screw with supporting parts would give you the horsepower and not kill your car or wallet (relatively speaking) since you don't have the engine built up for boost or more horsepower than 450 to 500rwhp..don't go turbo...
i do appreciate your (all of you) concerns financially. I am an officer in the Marine Corps, so a lot of the financial burden is taken off of me. you are correct in that i have no clue as to how a child will affect my finances. i am about to take a "budgeting for baby" class soon!

however, i have no car payments what so ever and next year i get a $1K payraise. my wife is telling me to get a C5 vette or 03 Cobra (insurance is stupid for these) and im thinking of taking the money and modding the car i already have. im giving myself a year to do all research and assemble funds.

and i am budgeting for a new shortblock regardless of the direction i go. i have a friend (Mark Kroffe who used to build modular engines and race for True Blue Performance in NC) who is going to help me build one with CP pistons and Manley rods. ill be selling my vortech kit to fund this.

i would really like to find a Cobra donor. this would give me a forged bottom end, four valve heads, blower, and sixspeed for the same cost. i have lots of people looking for them at salvage sales, etc. they are just pretty rare.

mustarrosa

Established Member
CAll HPP Racing and talk to Manny 972-395-9844 about a Cobra long block and blower assembly..I also may have a contact for a six speed tranny

Users who are viewing this thread