some questiond for ya!!

roostracing

Established Member
Hey guys, just bought a '93 black lightning and had a few questions. First off, i finally was able to buy a lightning after 11 years of wanting one and am real excited to start modding it out...so question #1, what does the stock converter stall to because the truck stalls to 2000 rpms...at 2100 it spins the tires?? Question #2, what are the best pulleys to get for the money?? Question #3, does the lightning come out with a big radiator...lets say 3-4 row cause mines got one?? Question #4, what are headers would be best longs or shortys and what brand? Of course all these question are for 1/4 mile! Thanks alot guys...its time to leave the mach 1 alone for a while and have some fun with my new toy!!

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
Originally posted by roostracing
Hey guys, just bought a '93 black lightning and had a few questions. First off, i finally was able to buy a lightning after 11 years of wanting one and am real excited to start modding it out...so question #1, what does the stock converter stall to because the truck stalls to 2000 rpms...at 2100 it spins the tires?? Question #2, what are the best pulleys to get for the money?? Question #3, does the lightning come out with a big radiator...lets say 3-4 row cause mines got one?? Question #4, what are headers would be best longs or shortys and what brand? Of course all these question are for 1/4 mile! Thanks alot guys...its time to leave the mach 1 alone for a while and have some fun with my new toy!!

ok, this is off the top of head so take it with a grain of salt. :-D

i think the converter stalls to 2100, not really sure. march 1015 underdrives seem to be very popular 2015 if you like polished aluminium. the towing package radiator is 4" thick and the regular is 2". as far as headers go i forget which does what, but the L has plenty of low end torque stock so which ever is better for the top end. long tubes? i still have the stockers.

here is a good faq link for the gen 1 lightning (clicK)

hope this helps some.:beer: also a good tune from sal at psp will be the biggest help. he can prolly get you 20 to 30 more horses just from burning a chip. those are his numbers and he's real conservative. we had a dyno tune here in kc and i saw him get a stock gen 1 with just exhaust over 40 horses to the rear wheels.

roostracing

Established Member
THANKS BRO FOR YOUR INFO!! That helped alot...i finally ran the truck at the track and pulled a consistant 15.8 3 times in a roll...not bad for a truck with over 218,000 miles...it has a k&n filter, no cats, and one dual inlet/outlet flowmaster. Thats the way i got the truck and the only thing that ive done to it was advance the timing to 14 degrees...maybe i should try 16? I want to delete the smog pump and get some pulleys on it.....and some longtubes with a true dual exhaust....all i want is a mid 14 second truck before i come up with the money to overhaul it the way i want.

Do you have a number for sal at psp??? I would like to talk to him about the chip!! Thanks for the info oce again...it really helped!

Users who are viewing this thread