Some Simple Mods For A New Shelby Owner

rancid

Established Member
Hey guys,

I did a few mods on the car this past week and thought I'd share. Nothing too elaborate compared to most but I am trying to go easy on the major mods until I get more miles on the car. I'd say almost any new owner will want to do these minus the Antenna (it is personal taste.) I also did a few exterior mods such as 20% window tint all the way around, 3 coats of Zaino and Adam's SuperVRT, and had some custom tint made for the side markers. I'd HIGHLY recommend you get some wax built up on this car as soon as you get it as mine already has 4 rock chips around the front bumper and side rocker panels beore I got the Zaino on.

Thanks to the vendors here for the great pricing!

JLT Painted RedLine Elite Hood Struts
hookstruts.gif

photo.gif

hoodstrut3.gif

Stubby Antenna
stubby2.jpg

stubby.gif

car.gif

Bob's Oil Catch Cans in CF (on both passenger and driver)
catchcan.gif

Ford Resonator Delete with AirRaid Filter
resonator2.jpg

airraid.jpg

resonator.gif

Last edited:

Speed_Addict

Established Member
Pretty much all the stuff I did but I didn't get the paint struts. Probably should have. I also added Roush rocker splitter since some of the country roads around our lake house are crap. Hoping to reduce rock chips on the rockers. Thanks for sharing rancid! Car looks great.

rancid

Established Member
Ray - I have yet to take this car WOT or even close to it (really going easy because of the clutch break-in) but at cruising speeds I noticed a difference inside the car. It isn't a huge difference but enough that I noticed. I also recorded my average A/F and it was 13.9-14.0 while idle and cruising and now it is between 13.9-14.2 while cruising so the filter and resonator delete helped improve air flow.

Speed - I ordered the JLT front rocker panel guards and the TruCarbon rear ones so hopefully that takes care of it. I have 3 decent sized chips in my front bumper already and one on the driver-side rocker panel. :burn:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Thanks for the pic of the catch can. Hadn't seen them on the motor yet. Is there an efficiency difference between this setup the filtered breathers I've seen?

Speed_Addict

Established Member
The Roush ones are textured plastic, but look decent and look like they would protect the car. They blend well with the Sterling Gray. I have the rear too but haven't installed them yet. Just have the side splitters installed.

Bummer about your chip. The stock tires pick up every little thing in the road.

Speed - I ordered the JLT front rocker panel guards and the TruCarbon rear ones so hopefully that takes care of it. I have 3 decent sized chips in my front bumper already and one on the driver-side rocker panel. :burn:[/QUOTE]

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
The smoked cornering lamps are a nice touch. Did you remove them and paint with tinted clear-coat or put some type of tinted film on?

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read and see the answer in your original post.....

Last edited:

rancid

Established Member
Is that a billet antenna or the rubber one?

It is a black rubber, almost same texture as the stock antenna. Best way to describe it is take the factory one and shrink it to the size in my photo and then make it fatter. IMO it makes a huge difference once you get used to it. I had my buddy drive my GT500 and I drove his new F150 5.0 Coyote and the first thing that stood out to me on Shelby was the giant antenna!

I worked with a place that made custom tint for older mustangs and now they carry a full assortment for the newer body styles and GT500. I will have some new additions soon I will post up but if anyone is interested PM me since they are not a vendor here.

Thanks for the pic of the catch can. Hadn't seen them on the motor yet. Is there an efficiency difference between this setup the filtered breathers I've seen?

For those that get Bob's catch cans, please note that the firewall install REQUIRES you to drill holes into the car to install it. I did not know this when I ordered it and had to do a lot of part swapping to get it to install in the normal location on the passenger side. The people over at Bob's are really excellent (Steven) and sent me a free bracket once I told them I decided not to use the firewall mount. As far as this setup vs. the crankcase breathers, I'd go with this for the Shelby and I used to have the filtered breathers on my supercharged 2000 Saleen and they didn't do near what I've seen the Bob's do.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
For those that get Bob's catch cans, please note that the firewall install REQUIRES you to drill holes into the car to install it. I did not know this when I ordered it and had to do a lot of part swapping to get it to install in the normal location on the passenger side. The people over at Bob's are really excellent (Steven) and sent me a free bracket once I told them I decided not to use the firewall mount. As far as this setup vs. the crankcase breathers, I'd go with this for the Shelby and I used to have the filtered breathers on my supercharged 2000 Saleen and they didn't do near what I've seen the Bob's do.

Thanks for the excellent info! :beer:

finsrin

Established Member
Like that antenna. Ordered one.
Pick up GT500 in two weeks followed by 900+ mile drive home.
Like to do same filter-resonator change for the trip.
Where did you buy air filter, part number, cost ?
Resonator removal simple ?

440sprint

Established Member
Another '13 improvement item that I really appreciate is my flip-key for $38.99 from Your Key Supplier, item #221074596583. There's a thread on it.

rancid

Established Member
Like that antenna. Ordered one.
Pick up GT500 in two weeks followed by 900+ mile drive home.
Like to do same filter-resonator change for the trip.
Where did you buy air filter, part number, cost ?
Resonator removal simple ?

I ordered mine through Lethal because they are close to GA but Van is our forum sponser and carries all the parts as well. For the install it is probably much more simple than I made it out to be but it took me roughly 45 and some scraped hands. I took detailed photos on how to do the sawp of you want me to post them with directions.

Air Raid Air Filter SynthaMax Non-Oiled - Revan Racing, Inc.

Ford Racing GT500 Resonator Eliminator Kit - Revan Racing, Inc.

I got the oil catch-cans and LED Fog lights directly from Bob's website but Van carries those as well.

Another '13 improvement item that I really appreciate is my flip-key for $38.99 from Your Key Supplier, item #221074596583. There's a thread on it.

Awesome, I will look that up. I plan on swapping out my key for a digital FOB along with a push start motor button in the near future. I am going to do a full write up on how to replace and upgrade the interior sound system and plan on picking up the FOB set afterwards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread