Some Things In High School Just Suck.

woaface

Established Member
Your first referral at school is an automatic hour after school unless the official pounding down his iron hand decides otherwise.

So every time you go into detention (To which I've been once for tardies to a class that only exists in theory...don't ask) all of the kids are there for something utterly retarded and something that wasted a minimum 60 minutes of school officials time.

Take today for example. I've been wearing jeans or dress pants for a few months now and I was pretty damn bored of it. So I wore some cotton pants...defined by the school system apparently as "Pajama bottoms".

I was in school this morning for roughly 30 seconds and my second period Algebra 2 teacher gave me note to the office. After a 45 minute wait, I received a referral from the fill in Assistant authoritarian...aka Coach Frost. He's your quintessential football coach: Tall, balding, pudgy but strong, loud and always has a whistle or glasses around his neck. Haha...his last name is Frost.

Anyways, he says "Do you have anyone at home that can bring you something?" "Nope...but what's wrong with these?" "Well son, they're pajama bottoms, and it's against the dress code" (I read the dress code, there's NOTHING about cotton pants OR pajama/night/whatever anything in there anywhere...but apparently, they "said something about it" at the beginning of the year.)

Since when can you get a referral on your permanent record and an HOUR of detention after school for wearing pants that aren't denim or corduroy or such?

How come the kids that think they live in the ghetto (there is no ghetto in Greenville) get away with baggy jeans and bad attitudes and blame their pathetic lives on everyone else, every day but I can't wear pants that are a slightly different material!?

HOW THE HELL IS THIS DISCIPLINARY ACTION OF ANY KIND ANYWAY? How does it help my grades? It's nowhere’s NEAR a safety issue...they don't drag on the ground, they're not baggy, they're tight around my waist.

ARRGH! It's not the fuggin military. If it was I'd be like "Hey, whoa, I'm a dumbass, this isn't smart." I always dress in a respectable and clean manner. This shouldn't be an exception...I was lazy today OKAY!? I still have a steady 3.7 of 4.5 (it's a different scale) or so grade average and it'll be even higher and with harder classes next year. It's not like I'm a troubled youth who needs a psychology evaluation and weekly drug testing. I've never even done drugs and I'm just over a month from 18. I've done good work for that school and for the community and my rap sheet so far consists of a speeding ticket...and I get an ass-raping from the football coach and my Algebra teacher for my PANTS!!!

Riverside High School wastes it's time with really stupid stuff like this constantly. Most of the teachers are better and more efficient at handing down discipline than the 2 or 3 "officials" in charge. But they don't loose their jobs because that's all that the county has...and government officials are hard to fire anyways.

You can see them every day at their job, all angry like they only thing they have to do is watch for dress code violations and yell at kids for mostly minor infractions and let the functionally dumb kids who don't know their hand from the drugs in their pocket, get away with whatever the hell they want.

It was such a waste of time. Just say "Hey, kid, don't do that again, because (fill in good reason) and it's (somehow disrespectful)" and leave me alone. If it's up your craw THAT bad that the material my pants are made of isn't some how acceptable then just tell me. Passingly mentioning it to some kids at the beginning of the year DOESN'T COUNT.

Not that they ever hurt anyone anyways. Other than the fact that they're red...but not bright enough to quite blind anyone, they weren't in violation of any other code except the one that was passingly "mentioned" at the beginning of the year...somewhere. Not that the announcements ever made it too us half of the time at the beginning of the year...another example of how inefficiently that school is run sometimes.

"Oh they have a lot to do, they can't do everything right" Boo hoo...maybe if they didn't waste their time with everything insignificant they'd have more time on their hands to crack a real whip.

To imagine these people get $50k+ a year to stand a bitch about nothing during 20-50% of their jobs. WHAT A FUGGIN WASTE!

Maybe I'll wear them to detention?!

Anyways, the South Carolina Department of Education can KISS MY LACKING IN FLESH ASS. YOUR SCHOOL SYSTEM BLOWS AND IS THE WORST IN THE NATION. IF YOU WANT BITCH ABOUT EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE LET US ALL WEAR UNIFORMS, I'LL SUPPORT THAT IN A HEARTBEAT. I'M LEAVING HERE IN A YEAR AND A HALF AND MOVING ONTO A BETTER LIFE IN ANOTHER STATE. YOUR PATHETIC AND COMPLETELY INANE SCHOOL TO WORK PROGRAM CAN SUCK MY TOES TOO.

Not to mention, the major legislator for our state educational system is a democrat, Inez Tennanbaum. Go figure.

BAH, humbug.

69cobrajet

333 Half Evil
Established Member
You will have a lot more of things that really are a waste when you get older.Enjoy it bro. it don't come back around. :thumbsup:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
we switched two years ago to a system that uses bubble sheets.
as you no longer have to go to the office for a late slip, they no longer mark you in the system
I haven't had detention in 2 years!
I used to be a regular for being late detentions
and even then you skip the first two and just go to the third and they check you off
All the office staff know me by name from the old days, and I even have a repoire with them :lol1:
I go in there to get something and they greet me, ask me how it's going, how my girlfriend is (ummm, I'm single right now - "What happened to Sara?")
funny stuff :p

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
LOL, what happened to you DOES suck... but try going to a private school. I'm in my second year of college and went to a private highschool. Our *uniforms* consisted of khaki pants, a button-down or polo style shirt, leather shoes, a belt, a tie (if you wore the button-down), and socks- EVERY damn day. If any of those items were missing... like a belt or socks, you got a one-hour detention. You want to wear athletic shoes? Too bad. One-hour detention. Forgot your tie? Too bad. I hated all that stuff... I know just where you're coming from. Now make sure you do a great senior prank and don't get caught! :rockon:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Ouch! I hate my HS too. They hand out detentions for BS reasons. I was freaking late to gym, first period, and got a detention. Im still late everyday and he doesnt say anything anymore? Screwd up

Then there are SAT's..what a joy! IN the tri state area, the HSPA's. A test as a junior that if you fail, you have to take special classes as a senior or you dont graduate. I am done with the second day of HSPA's and im goin buggy!

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Damn...kids are getting detention for cotton pants nowadays??? Jeez, I got detention also but I had freakin jack daniels literally pouring out of my locker onto the floor. No way of denying THAT one. 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out.

BTW...jeans can be defined as "Cotton Pants". You could really wrap them up in themselves over dress code if you really wanted to...dress codes are nearly impossible to enforce short of an official uniform as #4 said.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I got a referral for wearing pajamma pants in middle school, I have no idea why, they were plain, black pajamma pants. It's not like I wasn't wearing underwear or something (that could kind of be understandable referral material). I dunno, I've given up on my school board. Look into this "Pinellas County School Choice" they say the reason they made it so that more blacks would goto more prodominantly white schools....but this program made the schools even MORE segregated. Whatever, I give

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
wait wait, I've received a referral for saying blacks before too, not even derrogatory. So I will correct myself because it is morally incorrect to say black, "...so that more 'minorities' would goto...."
damn this political correctness aswell.

I don't understand the detention policy either. I think the teachers should find another way to punish students who have an unexcused tardy. Like assign the homework in the beginning of class and then not mention it, if you're late, you don't get the homework=zero. This wouldn't work due to students sharing information, but oh well, 'tis a thought

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Ahh yes, the high school days. Those were some good times......but not as good as college :D. Especially since this semester I only have class two days a week (only had 3 classes left to take wooohoo). Anyways, I got ISS my senior year in high school for the amount of tardies that I accumulated. The day I spent in ISS was the longest day of my life. I spent the whole damn day in a little portable with 4 or 5 other kids doing some kind of repetitive work.....not a good day.

I agree that the school system sucks here and I'm extremely glad that high school is done and over with. At Eastside our principles changed each year. After four years at that school I had three different principles. Not to mention our teachers were piss poor (not that I was complaining back then). Half of them gave two shits about people learning anything and the other half still needed to learn more so that they weren't on the same level as the students. If the time they spent enforcing our dress code and making sure no one went home for lunch was put towards certifying our teachers, the system would have been much better.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Things in your High School might suck but I'd give you an "A" for your report of it. Considering the quantity, or should I say the lack of, competently versed high school student members of this sit you are among the few that have a good grip on grammar. There is hope.

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
Damn, sucks for all of you going through HS nowadays. I graduated in 93' and HS for me was fun as hell. I never once got detention, suspension, disiplinary action, nada. I habitualy swore ALL the time and so did all my friends. Teachers heard us and didn't care. I had one teacher that was my club proctor for all 4 years. He had a kid my junior year and went and got all religious and would bitch about the swearing sometimes. But he was the ONLY one.

Let's see what else...

First and foremost, I wore whatever the hell I wanted to wear. The usual was jeans and a t shirt but I was known to wear sweats on occasion. Sometimes the t shirts said awful things too. These were the days of coed nakid shirts remember. I had a few of those. One light blue & white tie dye one with a B17 dropping a string of bombs with the words "WHEN DIPLOMACY FAILS".

I was routinely late for classes. Wandered the halls without a pass.

I took advantage of every single senior bag day from my sophomore year to graduation. Never heard a word about it and my parents only knew of a few of those days. There were about 10 each year.

Covered the wall section over a friend's locker with HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIZZY which we spelled out in Oreo halves in 18" high letters. Again, not a word.

Filled that same girl's locker with a gross of gold coin condoms which spilled out onto the floor in the morning when she opened the door.

We held several water gun wars within the school during my 4 years there. Super soakers ****ed and loaded in the lockers = FUN! I showed up to many classes dripping wet. Never a word about this.

We had archery during gym junior & senior year. I was shooting competitions in archery at the time so I was pretty good. I missed the targets on purpose and stuck a few arrows in the side of the gym.

Got into a few fights on school grounds, never got in trouble for any of them.

And the big one that stands out in my mind wasn't me, but a freind of mine. His dad was a history teacher at another school and was a collector of war memorobilia. This included MANY real guns, swords, grenades, etc, from various conflicts. My friend used to dress up in period costumes and do demonstrations and speeches for our classes. He would wear the full uniform INCLUDING the guns. He left out bolts, magazines, and ammo of course but he had the real deals right there in the front of the class many times. Try doing THAT today...

And through all that I also managed to stay out of jail, remain drug and alchohol free, and get a fantastic education.

I pity kids today, they'll never have those opportunities.

:rockon: :rockon:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
All we had to do my senior was to tuck our shirts in. I hated it because I never tucked my shirt in. After the first few months, I quit, and none of my teachers ever said crap. I had one that was a bitch about it.

That doesn stink, we did have a thing about pajama bottoms, and flip flops. I thought the flip flop one was ridiculous. If they were to try to enforce that in college HA! There would be a revolt.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
They give detention in highschool? I stopped gettin that in 5th grade, it was always ISS or OSS. Damn that was along time ago.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
We have IC which is detention during school hours then actual detention after school. We're allowed to wear flip flops here, but I still don't quite grasp the pajamma pants ordeal

WantLightning

Sleep Now in the Fire
Established Member
If there isn't anything about it in the written rules that you are given, then you need to do something about it. Do NOT let them push you around.

I had more run-ins than I cared to with my old HS' rule system, and I came out on top every time because I was just smarter than they were.

Once, I got lunch detention, and nearly got someone fired. :) Get this: Lunch detention is where you mis the first 15 minutes of a 30 minute lunch period and have to sit in the library, by yourself, staring at a wall. You can't read, sleep, put your head down, talk, chew gum, or anything. You sit, and you stare. Well, after 15 minutes have passed, the lunch serving line shuts down. You can no longer get food! After two days of this, I skipped lunch detention. I have BAD blood sugar problems, and it was either don't eat and rip someone's eyes out in the next class because I was starting to lose my grip on reality, or eat and get reprimanded. I chose repremanding, because I always knew how to make my dean feel two inches tall (and I loved doing it.)

So, I'm sitting at the bar in the cafeteria by the entrance, eating my macaroni and cheese, when the dean grabs my arm and pulls me out into the hallway. Now, I don't like physical contact, so it was all I could do not to grab the offending arm and yank as hard as I could, hopefully wrenching it out of the socket (she was pretty frail).

She corners me and says, "You have lunch detention for today, why are you in the cafeteria?" I reply, "You're going to have to find another way to go about this detention thing. I already explained to you before - they shut the lunch line down and if I don't eat, I will get very sick." She says, "That's no excuse!" I say, "Oh?" and step forward, raising my brow. She took a step back, and I just brushed past her. She demands to know where I'm going. My reply is, "I'm going to call my mother. She already doesn't like you, and she'll be pleased to know you, knowing I already have blood sugar problems, are preventing me from eating."

The story between she and my mother was that she called me out of class for something bullshit, and my mother came down to the school in her DRESS WHITES (Mom served 22 years in the USN, retired as a chief. NOT the woman you want to pull out of an inspection with a trivial problem concerning her daughter, believe me). I don't know what happened entirely in their interaction, but I DO know that my mom went Uncle Buck on her ass and threw a quarter at her, telling her to go into an alley and have a rat gnaw a mole off of her face. My mom is awesome. Apparently the dean got condescending, and my mom just snapped.

If you don't have an intimidating parent, just threaten them with legal action. :D

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
WantLightning said:
If there isn't anything about it in the written rules that you are given, then you need to do something about it. Do NOT let them push you around.

I had more run-ins than I cared to with my old HS' rule system, and I came out on top every time because I was just smarter than they were.

Once, I got lunch detention, and nearly got someone fired. :) Get this: Lunch detention is where you mis the first 15 minutes of a 30 minute lunch period and have to sit in the library, by yourself, staring at a wall. You can't read, sleep, put your head down, talk, chew gum, or anything. You sit, and you stare. Well, after 15 minutes have passed, the lunch serving line shuts down. You can no longer get food! After two days of this, I skipped lunch detention. I have BAD blood sugar problems, and it was either don't eat and rip someone's eyes out in the next class because I was starting to lose my grip on reality, or eat and get reprimanded. I chose repremanding, because I always knew how to make my dean feel two inches tall (and I loved doing it.)

So, I'm sitting at the bar in the cafeteria by the entrance, eating my macaroni and cheese, when the dean grabs my arm and pulls me out into the hallway. Now, I don't like physical contact, so it was all I could do not to grab the offending arm and yank as hard as I could, hopefully wrenching it out of the socket (she was pretty frail).

She corners me and says, "You have lunch detention for today, why are you in the cafeteria?" I reply, "You're going to have to find another way to go about this detention thing. I already explained to you before - they shut the lunch line down and if I don't eat, I will get very sick." She says, "That's no excuse!" I say, "Oh?" and step forward, raising my brow. She took a step back, and I just brushed past her. She demands to know where I'm going. My reply is, "I'm going to call my mother. She already doesn't like you, and she'll be pleased to know you, knowing I already have blood sugar problems, are preventing me from eating."

The story between she and my mother was that she called me out of class for something bullshit, and my mother came down to the school in her DRESS WHITES (Mom served 22 years in the USN, retired as a chief. NOT the woman you want to pull out of an inspection with a trivial problem concerning her daughter, believe me). I don't know what happened entirely in their interaction, but I DO know that my mom went Uncle Buck on her ass and threw a quarter at her, telling her to go into an alley and have a rat gnaw a mole off of her face. My mom is awesome. Apparently the dean got condescending, and my mom just snapped.

If you don't have an intimidating parent, just threaten them with legal action. :D

Cool mom. :thumbsup:

But I bet that worked against you on those nights were you may have missed curfew or didn't do all your chores. ;)

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
My highschool sounds alot like yours. I hated it, the faculty tried to act so tough all the time. We also had some stupid rules, such as, -no gum,-no hats, -similar dresscode to yours, -we had a rule that after 3 tardies they take away 1 full percent of your grade, I think thats how I got a D+ in art class :rolling: The best thing though was when I went on spring break and we taped the whole trip, and somehow some teacher saw it. Obliviously we were drinking and doing the usual type of spring break activites. She tried to not let some of us graduate...hahaha yeah right :rollseyes
It sucks man, but its over quick.

woaface

Established Member
Snagged,

Haha, you went to Eastside? You know Harner was fired for having an affiar with the lady pricipal there...hehehe...I happened to find out about a year before the news broke. That bastage!

Greenville County does suck at this eh?

My dad is driving the silver Cobra vert if you ever see one:) Shoot me a PM if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread