Some thoughts on everything gt500

94gt

Established Member
1. GT500 production numbers - In 2003 SVT built coupe and convertible together 13,500 cobras . They can easily duplicate these numbers for 2007 especially with the great press the GT500 has gotten. To build any amount less would be foolish on thier part. With the official introduction of the convertible this easily puts numbers at well over 10,000. Initial reports claimed from 7,000 to 10,000 coupes alone. My local SVT dealer claims (meaning it could be a fat lie)5 gt500's on order with $1,000 -$5,000 down payments. With 605 SVT dealers nationwide this is 3,025 people on waiting lists. What about the other 10,000 GT500's. As long as there aren't to many jackass's paying over MSRP or salesman lying saying they have 10 people waiting to get the car when they really have no one we should be fine. 2. How long is the run of Shelby's? - All the press so far says a three year run of the Shelby's. I called SVT in the past and was told by one of their technical service people this Shelby run of GT500's could last 20 years. Nothing was set in stone keeping 2009 as the last production year. All Shelby would be doing is providing his kids an alternate inheritance after his death. 3. That lovely new hood - I know 90% of the people here hate this thing and while I don't think either of the hoods are exceptional the concept was better. After calling SVT today to confirm if this was the hood they were going with at production the reply was interesting. He said these hoods were just on prototype models and the official hood would be revealed at the auto show in january. This could be taken either way but he made it sound as if something new were in the works. I hope so! I know the responce to the new hood has been extremely poor. I also asked if the vinyl stripes on hood and body would be applied at SVT or by the dealer. Fearing if the dealer did it they would cut aroung the heat vents as on the early yellow prototype photos. Later photos show this going straight across and it looked much better. This must be tough with the bulging vents to keep the tape straight and prevent wrinkling. He responded and said these were different configurations on the prototypes only. He said the show car would be released in Jan. and would not confim if vinyl would be used as stripes. Possibly painted stripes? I doubt it, but for the price we should get them painted on.

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
94gt said:
1. After calling SVT today
Anybody else think that calling the good people at one of Earths largest company's to check on the progress of a very low volume niche product scheduled for production at least 3/4 of a year from now just about the coolest freaking thing ever? And GETTING an answer from a human!? :rockon:

jshen

Established Member
I keep in the back of my mind...what comes beyond the upcoming Shelby? Will there be "sufficient numbers" of twin screws by the second year...Will Ford have to up the anti...to keep up with other companies...Just a thought.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
You are forgetting one thing. The new Shelby wont just go to SVT dealers. They are gonna get away form that completely, you will be able to buy SVT products at any ford dealer. I remember reading it in MMFF a few months back. Thats where the rest of the productions cars are gonna go. I personally think letting every ford dealership sell SVT products is rediculous but in the same sense it would be a good thing casue then they will be able to service them as well cause they will need to keep a certified tech or two to maintain the vehicles they sell. I cant count how many times I have been refused service on my Lightning cause they say they dont have a tech thats SVT certified.

Joe

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
Anybody else think that calling the good people at one of Earths largest company's to check on the progress of a very low volume niche product scheduled for production at least 3/4 of a year from now just about the coolest freaking thing ever? And GETTING an answer from a human!? :rockon:
Try that with Saleen.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
GT500 production figures

I would assume that SVT might produce the 2003 numbers with both coupe and convertible, splitting the total in half.....I was told earlier by SVT that production would be around 7000 units, 3500 coupes, 3500 convertibles...Of course with all the hype, they could boost it up to 2003 levels, but most years the production was limited to around 7000 total units...We will see what happens.....Remember, that to produce SVT units, Ford Div. has to make less of the regular 2006 Mustangs, and frankly, I think they will limit SVT products to as few as possible, due to disruption of their 2006 production line to accomodate SVT runs...Ford back-charges the SVT division for any accomodations they have to make in the regular production line to accomodate SVT product...I was told by SVT that the GT500 will run for more than 1 year, and I hope it will be limited to 1-3 years, in order to make the cars desireable, and keep the resale value up......For all you Powerlease customers, that are waiting for the options, that were supposed to be sent over a year ago, I am in the process of writing a fedex (again) to the new marketing head of SVT....

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
2004 Powerlease Customers---Please Read-IMPORTANT!!!

I have been calling and have sent a letter to SVT concerning our long-delayed powerlease options, and frankly, have gotten a number of vague and broken promises by Bob Lewis, SVT dealer contact person, who has been in charge of the Option Program....I suggest that all of you follow my lead by contacting SVT by phone, and ask to talk to Bob Lewis, or leave a message in his voicemail, since he does not like picking up calls when he is there, and does not return voicemails from customers....The more you all call and leave your name and Vin# of your leased vehicle, the pressure might build for him to get an answer to us...Also, here is the mailing address of Ford SVT, and the new Marketing Mgr. Please start writing letters, also, venting your frustration at Ford, for not living up to the Powerlease program timetable....Technically they are in breach of contract in regards to inducing us to lease, and not following up on their mailing of Options to us by August 2004.....

Ford Motor Co. SVT Division
777 Republic Drive #F
Allen Park, MI 48101
Atth: Burt Diamond Marketing Mgr. (Personal)

94gt

Established Member
You are right that more dealers will have access to SVT products but not all. Any none SVT dealer who completes certification requirements can get one. Meaning their sales people go through adavanced training and thier mechanics do the same with additional technical training to service these products. This will not be every dealer or even close in my opinion. A dealer 15 miles away has a new Ford GT in the office. There was a drawing among normal dealers and they won the lottery. They are not an SVT dealer and upon asking if they would try for certification to get the GT500 the answer was a flat out no.

GTWill

Established Member
94gt said:
You are right that more dealers will have access to SVT products but not all. Any none SVT dealer who completes certification requirements can get one. Meaning their sales people go through adavanced training and thier mechanics do the same with additional technical training to service these products. This will not be every dealer or even close in my opinion. A dealer 15 miles away has a new Ford GT in the office. There was a drawing among normal dealers and they won the lottery. They are not an SVT dealer and upon asking if they would try for certification to get the GT500 the answer was a flat out no.
Totally agree. Very few non-SVT dealers will get a certification to sell one car. Makes no sense they would lose money. You might be suprised at how many GT500's will be available at current SVT dealers.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
after a while they will be avalible,these added dealer markups will not last. i would say sticker price will be attainable in 3-6 months after intro. if you pay over sticker you will probably regret it. lots of the regular dealers won't even want one of these

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
swlacobra said:
after a while they will be avalible,these added dealer markups will not last. i would say sticker price will be attainable in 3-6 months after intro. if you pay over sticker you will probably regret it. lots of the regular dealers won't even want one of these
+1

Over sticker is rediculous. You might as well throw your money down the toilet. These cars are going to depreciate just like all other cars. IF they are ever worth a lot of money, it will be 25 or more years down the road. Most of the Boneheads that paid over sticker are going to have sold these and made several other stupid purchases by then.

drhyed

Established Member
First year builds will be well under 7500 units

um well this months mmff interview with all the svt big wigs clearly stated 7500 to 10000 units the first year depending on demand

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
drhyed said:
um well this months mmff interview with all the svt big wigs clearly stated 7500 to 10000 units the first year depending on demand

My source could be wrong...things do change...but I consider "it" very reliable. Let's hope they meet demand.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Every source to date, includeing Ford's own site and Fords own press releases, has stated at least 7,000 units for the first year and that they were going to build enough to meet demand..
"Everyone will have one that wants one" they were quoted as saying..

So lets cut the BS! These cars will be everywhere and we will be paying less than sticker in a few months time..

Anyone that pays over retail is an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread