somethings isn't lined up properly driveline vibration!

mustangcobra98

Got Nitrous?
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-cobra-motor-maximum-motorsports-goodies.html
above is the discovery of the problem.
pulled off the diff cover and looked around did some checks and found nothing wrong in the rearend. so moved my way forward to looking at the driveshaft and my ford service manual. I realized that with everything being new that there are no indexing marks on my new pinion flange. now keep in mind that the driveshaft is outta the 03 car and had indexing marks. played with that and got a little vibration out. but during clutch engagment its always gave me a little shake. ok now that being said. I move forward to the fron of the drive shaft. I find damage around aft of the "dog ears" where the drive shaft has struck my driveshaft loop! ok so now why is my driveshaft striking the loop? i look alittle further and find that my slip yoke has 1 1/8th inch of silver showing. and thats the distance from the wear mark where it was in the other car to the output seal. SO this leads me to believe that my kmember is too far forward in the car. because the member can move back a half of an inch. I'll try and get pictures up of whats going on soon. but why else could my drive shaft be too short. I've been through 1000 threads on SVTP of 03s converting to SRA and never once has anyone ever had a driveshaft too short. Double check my Kmember measurements they show that its square but MM instructions don't give distances as to how far forward it should be I measured my wheel base fwd centercap to rear center cap and it says 102.75 on both sides which is a bit too far. and my alignment at the shop is alittle off and they said it was the best they can do. So in my opinion all things point to the kmember but my mesurements according to MM instructions are saying its right!

my alignment is as follows: Left camber -1.7 right camber -1.1 left caster 5.7 right caster 6.9 degrees, with a cross caster -1.3 and cross camber -.6 that being said my CC plates are maxed out all the way right and all the way aft. Something isn't right??? thoughts, opinions are apprieciated!

Last edited:

Boosted 03

Established Member
I don't see why shifting your K-member back would cause any problems, as long as you have the clearances to do it. I would recommend checking your trans mount in regaurds to the rubbing on the loop. The alignment specs could defiantly be much better. I would recommend setting the cambers identical to each other, and setting the caster slightly biased to the left to offset the road crowns if you have any in your area. I would also set the toe up so that there is minimal where, pretty close to Zero if your not planning to do road course racing or anything.

Have you tried just reindexing the driveshaft for shits and giggles?

If it were my car I'd bring the right camber up to -1.7 to match the left. And I'd drop the right caster down to 6.0.
Set toe at 0

This should drive nice and still have great feel. Maybe if you shift the kmember youll get more movement. I believe the MM caster camber plates can be flipped over for more extreme adjustments. Just a thought.

Last edited:

mustangcobra98

Got Nitrous?
Established Member
thank you for your input the plates are reversed. I played with with the index of the driveshaft. it gets less vibration on some positions. I left it on the one with the least vibration but still get some. I am running poly motor mounts. and rubber tranny mount could this be the problem? the tranny mount is brand new rubber from tously I couldn't find a polly one anywhere I have one from prothan but it don't fit the transmission.

mustangcobra98

Got Nitrous?
Established Member
did some fab work got the prothan mount to fit still working bugs out, guess thats what happens when you build a car from the ground up! these things can be expected, and this is my first build also

Users who are viewing this thread