Sound deadening?

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Hey has anyone sound deadened their trunk? I like sound quality when listening to music, but I don't want to miss out on hearing that sweet exhaust. Anyone have experience with it? How much will it kill the exhaust note?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I started dynamatting my trunk in my 2012. Heard it keeps road noise sounds out.

It doesn't hurt to have it though, I'd do it. I doubt it will quiet the exhaust sound enough for you to hear a difference.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
I started dynamatting my trunk in my 2012. Heard it keeps road noise sounds out.

It doesn't hurt to have it though, I'd do it. I doubt it will quiet the exhaust sound enough for you to hear a difference.
Yeah it's suppose to help with road noise and stop resonant frequencies. Guess imma go ahead and tell my gf to order it for me haha. That two year anniversary next tuesday and couldn't decided what I wanted so I picked that since I don't wanna pay for it.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I sound deadened the entire car, I wasn't going to waste my money on some silver foil saying dynamat so I just bought some more generic sound deadening material from lowes taped it in after I cut it to the proper size. I'd say it made a difference.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The only downside is that it adds weight. Not a big deal for most people though. Just those focused on track times.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Yeah I doubt the car will see the track any time soon haha. and yeah i've used the peel and seal stuff from lowes before. Didn't work as well as I wanted it to.

Clutch71

I used Raam Mat on my 1999 GT with a MAC Pro-Chamber and a Magnaflow catback. Hate to say that it made no difference at all and was a waste of time. These cars are just loud. Recommend spending the money on mods.

NC03GT

Established Member
Dynomat cuts out a lot of road noise when put in the right parts of the car. Just slapping it randomly wont help. We dynomat a lot of vehicles for sound quilty. It truly helps, but it will add some weight to the vehicle

john_anch_ak

I installed sound deadener from Second Skin all over my '99 Cobra and as I have a full Bassani exhaust installed it makes a huge difference. Not cheap by any means but well worth it in my opinion. I used Damplifier Pro, Luxury Liner Pro and Spectrom which is a spray for the undercarriage. Very time consuming, at least for me as I am disabled and can only do so much before I have to quit or pay a huge price in pain. Biggest pain in the butt was insulating the doors, just not much room to get my hands in. Damplifier Pro is first installed and then Luxury Liner Pro is installed on top of that. Best thing to do is gut the interior so you have room to work. I don't think just sound deadening the trunk will give you much of an improvement but what the hell do I know?? :beer:

I found out about this stuff from some TV show that was on a couple of years ago. The show was a top end group of guys that did a lot of custom work for some rich folks.

TClark22

Established Member
i bought some ebay stuff hushmat knockoff...very cheap but the same exact shit.

Have my entire floor from firewall to taillights covered (nothing on the doors and sides, wish i did the doors to complete it). It helped the vibrations out ALOT...i had a JL w7 in the trunk so it was a deep hitting sub that always shoot shit loose. It didn't really do anything exhaust tone wise

The Abyss

Established Member
I've done from the rear window to the firewall and down both of the sides including the doors in Dynamat. It really helps with the rattles and it seemed to help quiet the cabin down too. That was helpful for a LT, off-road H and flowmaster mufflered(<HAHA) car.

Users who are viewing this thread