Sound System

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Has anyone upgraded the stereo in their Boss? I'd like to hear what you've done and how you like it. I'm not really looking to put a sub in or anything wild like that and I'd rather not screw with an amplifier, just looking for good speaker replacement recommendations.

senderofan

Established Member
I replaced all four speakers and installed an i-Simple Sirius radio system. The i-Simple system also included a cable to plug in an i-pod unit. I was amazed at how cheap the four factory speakers are....they truly are something from 1970...paper with magnets that are about 1/4 the size of my replacements. I purchased Polk speakers from Crutchfield....with the proper mustang connectors. I believe they were @ $75/pair plus the adapters. The speakers were a direct replacement. While they are a 100% improvement.......they are not the Shaker 1000 system.

Here's a link to the speakers: Polk Audio DXi571 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Generally I'm listening to the music produced by the RoadRunner....but I also enjoy Sirius radio when I'm feeling really mellow!

Wayne

Last edited:

senderofan

Established Member
The i-Simple retains the sync abilities of the vehicle. You have to put the DIP switch "On" with the i-Simple unit for the 2013....not for the 2012. The i-Simple is a bit of a pain to install....simply because the factory antenna cable is extremely short. Let me know if you plan on doing this mod.....I have some install recommendations for you.

Wayne

RangerDLA

Established Member
Can you replace the 5x8's with 6x9's without doing any cutting? I replaced my speakers too, but with the 5x8's. While they sound better, there still isn't enough depth to the sound if you know what I mean.

Rebel302

Established Member
Replace speakers with some quality ones (I used Pioneer TSD6802R because of the built in crossover) and put a small 4-channel amp on them...done. Clarion, Alpine, Kicker, Kenwood, and Rockford Fosgate all make compact 4-channel amps that can fit behind a dash, glovebox, or under the seat for accessibility:beer:

Last edited:

Brewmaster

Established Member
Start with the speakers that Rebel suggests. I installed the fronts and had a shop do the rears because I don't fit well back there. Even without the amp the Pioneers are a huge difference in sound with not a big cash outlay.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Our cars have a strereo? Since I took out the exhaust discs I listen to rumble of the exhaust with a big smile on my face... what stereo?

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
After you upgrade the speakers, you will realize what a big ball of suck the stock head unit is. Powered by "the little amp that couldn't", which cuts bass and adds bias to the front channel to wring every last dB out of the amp...

I just scored a Maestro trim kit and Sync interface module so I can put a real head unit in. You would be surprised how good the 4 channel amps are in newer radios, and you have the option of adding Nav & satellite radio if you wish. I got lucky and got both Maestro pieces, new, for only $249.99. :banana:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371020250025&globalID=EBAY-US

If you have a 13 Boss with Sync, you get all the goodies, if yours is a 12, then your options are limited. Getting all the OBDII data on screen, including tire pressure reading FROM EACH WHEEL, is awesome.

You can read through this long thread for more info;

kenwood double din dash kit - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

All I need now to complete my build is a Kenwood head unit and powered sub, which should be in the next few weeks. Will be posting a thread on my build.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
2x GT Premium door panels w/hardware - $450.00
2x door trim (triangle parts near A pillar) for tweeter mount - $22.00
4x175w Crunch V-Drive Amp - $112.58
Infinity Kappa 60.11CS 6.5" component speakers - $189.00
2x Dayton Audio 8" 4ohm woofers - $118.00
Maestro ADS-KIT-MUS1 & ADS-MRR - $249.99
25sq ft GTMAT 50mil sound insulation - $49.99

So far that's $1,191.56 I spent the extra money on the panels and trim pieces because I'm not hacking up the original Boss parts. All the original parts for my Mustang will be stored so that my son/grandson can restore it to stock condition some day if desired. I started using a heat gun to melt the plastic in the panels to get the much bigger magnets of the new woofers to fit, but the fumes were nasty. Didn't think it was worth risking lung damage when I had my trusty sawzall handy. As I'm sealing up the door panels tight with the GTMAT, I'm not worried about the open gap behind the magnet required for clearance.

So if you round up to $1,200 for a few materials and tools I picked up, the total will come to about $1,800 once you add the refurb Kenwood Excelon head unit & powered sub that I still need to purchase. None of this includes labor cost, as I'm doing all the work myself. I carefully researched the specs, design, and components of this build, and expect a top notch result. Now it's up to me to take my time and not screw up the install. :)

Brewmaster

Established Member
That doesn't sound too bad (no pun intended) for having a great system when you get all finished. I would like to have a better system but will wait as I've done so many mods last summer on the suspension, other than upgrading the four speakers. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the rest!

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Go with a nice deck, install kit, replace speakers with punch replacements, and a Rockford self enclosed powered woofer in trunk and it will sound great for very little money. That is what I did and I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread