Sound Tube Question

ghill2011gt

Established Member
So I removed the stupid sound tube from my car and plugged the hole on the intake and the hole in the firewall. The car is a little more quiet but hard to tell the difference with the flowmaster axle back. Would I need a re-tune because I am no longer pulling this extra air in the intake. Kind of a stupid question but just wondering.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
No. The sound tube wasn't drawing in any air, it was a sealed tube that transmitted sound into the cabin through a diaphragm.

chuckstang

Established Member
I dont understand why having a sound tube and then using 2 filters to muffle the sound?

Is it a good free mod to remove the filters or is it not worth it?

To the OP, does it sound better with the holes plugged?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
what kind of plugs did you use? The sound tube on my car is so annoying, in my opinion.

ghill2011gt

Established Member
I used the plug that came with my JLT intake to plug the intake hole and I used a piece of leftover dynomat and covered the hole on the firewall. It seems to be a little quieter.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
i did the sound tube mod (removing the lil sponges). Now i can not only feel but HEAR the shitty throttle lag/response. Yay....:/

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I removed the tube, cut off the end that goes to the fire wall, filled it with silicone and pushed the foam back into it from the backside, let it dry a day and reinstalled it. Fits perfect and sealed, On the intake I used a 1 1/4" rubber cap to seal it.

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
i did the sound tube mod (removing the lil sponges). Now i can not only feel but HEAR the shitty throttle lag/response. Yay....:/

If you're 100% stock, this will help a little with the throttle lag. It won't eliminate it completely, because it is partially determined by the intake manifold volume, which is huge on these cars. It can't fix that, but it will sharpen the throttle/fuel/spark/cam position in the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread