Sparatic overheating issue

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I have been having a overheating issue for a little while now , it started doing it out of nowhere . It seems to happen after I drive on the highway then come to a stop . I can burp the system , then drive it around town for hours , stopping , idling , doing some wide open throttle in 1st and 2nd and its fine . As soon as I get it out on the highway and get the wind blowing through the heat exchanger and rad , then stop and idle , it starts to overheat and then pukes coolant out of my reservoir cap .

I followed the instructions many times to burp the system and it all works out as planned . The weird thing is when I let the car cool down after burping it , when I remove the crossover plug , it shoots coolant out as soon as I remove the plug . It seems to be building up pressure and holding it in the system . I have a moroso overflow reservoir and tried a new cap on it and that didn't help the situation at all . I plan on doing a head cooling mod this winter , as well as a 170 tstat . I was hoping this would be a easy fix so I could drive the car for the next couple weeks before the snow flies but its got me baffled . Has anyone had a similar problem ?

I don't have any leaks in the system and from what I can see the fan and other components seem to be in good working order .No coolant in the oil and no steam out of the exhaust . Any input is appreciated !

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Update for anyone curious . I took the old thermostat out and tested it and it didn't open till 205f and even then , opened very little . I replaced it with a gates 33238 180 degree unit . I also replaced the cap on my reservoir with a new one and all is back to normal . The car is also running a little cooler with the new tstat .

Users who are viewing this thread