Spare tires for Skinnies

LeftinthedusT

Learning...
Established Member
Do I need an 03-04 spare tire for this or what other model spare tire can I get for this (like will GT spare tire fit). I plan on just going the cheap route for moroso and just throwing on two spares with some speed rated tires...

And by the way, any ideas on the tires I should get?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Do it. I've done it. You'll be fine. If you're really uneasy about it let them cool for 10 minutes between passes.

Heat is the reason you can only go like 40 on them. They don't have enough width to get rid of the heat of constant high speed driving with their really thick sidewalls.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I THINK he's saying he's going to use the spare rims only, and buy tires.

I would NEVER run the spare tires....and any track that allowed that is grossly negligent IMO.

LeftinthedusT

Learning...
Established Member
I plan on replacing the rubber so it has a higher speed rating

Is there a cheaper set of Skinnies that I can buy instead of spare tires?

2 SLOW

Keepin' it real
Established Member
Find some used front runners, you could prob. pick some up for about $200. Although it would be funny to see somebody at the track with spare tire rims up front...if you have no shame go for the spare tire rims lol

SVT04

Established Member
:nono: I can't believe some of the stupid ideas people come up with. I think what we really need is a way to get rid of the stupid gene in the human gene pool..........

On second thought ....go ahead....run the spare with different tires or even motorcycle tires......lower the pressure down to 10 psi for handling and traction and to get the front end to bounce and lift the wheels :lol: Maybe then you can make it as a Darwin award winner :lol:

LeftinthedusT

Learning...
Established Member
SVT04 said:
:nono: I can't believe some of the stupid ideas people come up with. I think what we really need is a way to get rid of the stupid gene in the human gene pool..........

On second thought ....go ahead....run the spare with different tires or even motorcycle tires......lower the pressure down to 10 psi for handling and traction and to get the front end to bounce and lift the wheels :lol: Maybe then you can make it as a Darwin award winner :lol:

There is nothing wrong with the spare tire rim as long as you change the tire, I just want a set of cheap/light skinnies for the front, so dont be so quick to call people stupid because if I can find a cheaper pair of used skinnies I will buy them because I dont need expensive skinnies just for going to moroso once every few months

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
BLK04 said:
Nick give Matt a call at lethal performance. They have really good prices on centerline drag wheels.

+1

As to motorcycle tires, although they may be speed rated, there is no way they're designed to handle the weight.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
A thing worth doing is worth doing right.

Get proper front runners.

Just say no to ghetto skinnies

cobra29svt

Established Member
va motorsports park said i could run the spare rims up front as long as i had something other than "temp" tires on them. problem is i dont think there is a tire that will fit on them that isnt a temp. i called about 10 different places trying to find some. as far as running the spares w/ the temp tires on them, screw that!

Users who are viewing this thread