Spare tires for Skinnies??

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Hey guys,

Anybody run the spare tires in the front of your cobra's as skinnies at the track?? I've seen Cobra's in pictures with the 17" spare tires as skinnies and was wondering if anybody has done this..

Obvioously I wouldn't run the spare tire, and maybe throw on a pair of Motorcycle tires or something..

So my question is, anybody on here do this? And if so what size tires did you run on the rims?

I'm too damn cheap to buy skinnies for a car that will only run at the track twice a year.

Thanks!

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I think Nitrous Pete did it in his Cobra in the MM&FF article, though those tires are only rated at 55mph so who knows. Not a bad idea to run the motorcycle tires on them though.

SCCA Cobra

Too many cones...
Established Member
YES...and no

You should not do it. It will not pass track inspection.

I, however, did do this at a club event with two spares up front. I will say they did make it down the track at 12.04 @ 114mph with no problems. If you do try, up grade to some heavy weight spec motorcycle tires, like the one the touring bikes use.

Josh

AHD

Established Member
Try doing a search on corral.net. There was a post on there a while back about this. I don't know if it has been updated since then, but the info I got is to use a Dunlop 491 Elite II MT90B17(rear). Part number 4103-92 for black wall, and 4071-92 for Raised white letters. They are load rated to 870lbs @40psi
They are 26.18" in height
width is 5.15" on BW and 5.20" on RWL
Tread depth is 10/32
They are Hspeed rated.
You should be able to run them without tubes, with no problems.

Last edited:

ALLNTRL

Established Member
The thread is called " spare used for skinnys??????? " posted by 97svtsnake in the DOHC forum. I couldn't get it to link for some reason. :shrug: Anyway, I am the one who polished the spares in the pics in that thread, enjoy! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread