Spark plug analysis/compression test

tennis_pr0

Established Member
So as some of you know I have been concerned about the dealer I bought my car form putting lower than 93 octane gas in the car, as it has a VMP blower and is tuned on 93.

Anyway, I know I am overthinking this at this point but I am just super OCD when it comes to my cars. The car pulls strong, runs good (other than the idle issue I am having but I'm not too worried about that) and has no current or stored codes. I am assuming if the car detonated at some point from the dealer putting bad gas in it, there would be obvious signs and i would have a stored code or something.

So I decided why not do a compression test. I pulled out a plug but for whatever reason, could not get my compression test fitting or any of the adapters to fit into the spark plug hole. So I just put everything back together and ended up not doing the compression test. I however did take a few pictures of a spark plug I pulled out. I actually pulled out two, and they both looked identical. Again, I am assuming any bad detonation would show some kind of signs on the spark plugs?

Anyway, here are the plugs. Let me know what you think about the condition. The are 15k miles on them and again, I have a VMP supercharged 5.0.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 151

5lho

Established Member
det looks like little silver flakes on the plug, which is chunks of piston top blown off by the overpressure.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
det looks like little silver flakes on the plug, which is chunks of piston top blown off by the overpressure.

Cool yeah they all look exactly the same so I'm just gonna forget about the compression test. I'm not getting or have any codes, engine runs fine and spark plugs look great.

Wonder why I couldn't thread the damn compression tester in thoigh. Don't a ton of compression tests and this one just wouldn't thread in lol

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
You are not going to get any type of accurate data from a spark plug with 15,000 miles on them. Period.

The only way to get a true plug reading it to put in a new set, make a pass down the stip or make a pull through all the gears and then immediately turn the car off. That's when you can pull them out and get an accurate idea of the tune up in the car from the strap, porcelain and first few threads.

Users who are viewing this thread