Spark Plug Came Flying Out!

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
About a month ago my brothers 2000 Lightning spark plug came flying out. Took the threads with it. Ford had to replace the head. The truck has 30k on it. I have a 2001 Lightning. New Years morning my 01 spark plug came flying out as well. My truck has 15k on it. I was only a mile from the dealership when it happened. So I limped it over to the dealership. Unfortunately they were closed, except the sales department of course. Boy, you should have seen their faces. A 2001 Lightning pulling up making some God Awful Sounds. So, I started her back up and limped it one more mile back home. One of the most embarrassing things I've ever had to do. Even the locals (Espanic Population Mostly) were giving me some bad, bad looks. And when that happens you know things don't look to good... I got it towed into the dealership today, same dealership that did my bro's. They were surprised, yep needs a new head. I told him you mean 2 new heads. The dealership said, I see your point. I'm sure we'll find something wrong with the other side. Perfect!

My thought on what's happening is the person who is installing the spark plugs is not tightening the spark plug down correctly. Looking down into the head. Only the first few threads are gone. The rest seem to be ok.

I thought I heard a small exhaust leek, but thought naaa. It’s a brand new truck and it’s barely noticeable. It can't be. Plus with the notorious litters that pump up in the morning it’s probably those.

So, my advice is if you think by the smallest amount you truck may have an exhaust leek. You could be right. On my truck the spark plug came out on the driver side, #3. On my brothers, it was the passenger side #3. I'll get a picture and post it when the head comes off.

PFA

Established Member
Originally posted by 99CobraSupercharged
Plus with the notorious litters that pump up in the morning it’s probably those.
I am assuming that you mean lifters. Our Lightnings don't have lifters. Just for you info. :)

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Almost!!

SparkPlug1.jpg

SparkPlug2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread