Spark plug condition

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
Changed plugs today, how do these look? About 10K or so on them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 319

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
I am running a whipple 3.4, jlt 127 cai, vmp 67mm TB with arh 1 7/8" headers and gutted hpipe cats. Just installed tr7ix plugs at .28, car is running much better i think.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Those little specs could be evidence of detonation. You're probably better off with the colder heat range.

hostile500

Established Member
I am running a whipple 3.4, jlt 127 cai, vmp 67mm TB with arh 1 7/8" headers and gutted hpipe cats. Just installed tr7ix plugs at .28, car is running much better i think.

Yeah you wont have problem with those. Im gapped at .030 with the same supporting mods.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Those little specs could be evidence of detonation. You're probably better off with the colder heat range.

"pepper" on the insulators and small metal flecks are a good indicator or light detonation. the black specs are oil that gets past the rings as they flutter through detonation. The shiny specs are minute pieces of aluminum (piston or possibly head) that get displaced during detonation. Harmful? not very. Like you said switching to a cooler plug/upping the octane will most likely solve it. Its when it gets heavy or prolonged that the nightmare begins. Its a chain reactive process. Detonation continues, piston gets hot spots, hot spots cause pre-ignition and then...boom! Its the pre-ignition that causes the real catastrophe. Ah but what about the knock sensors? Trouble is they have to "hear" something before they can do anything, which means there needs to be some detonation for them to function.

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
"pepper" on the insulators and small metal flecks are a good indicator or light detonation. the black specs are oil that gets past the rings as they flutter through detonation. The shiny specs are minute pieces of aluminum (piston or possibly head) that get displaced during detonation. Harmful? not very. Like you said switching to a cooler plug/upping the octane will most likely solve it. Its when it gets heavy or prolonged that the nightmare begins. Its a chain reactive process. Detonation continues, piston gets hot spots, hot spots cause pre-ignition and then...boom! Its the pre-ignition that causes the real catastrophe. Ah but what about the knock sensors? Trouble is they have to "hear" something before they can do anything, which means there needs to be some detonation for them to function.

Good info, thanks for posting that.

Users who are viewing this thread