Spark plug gap

C3SVT

Established Member
So I installed the screaming demon coil packs, there spark plug wires, and NGK Iridium IX Performance Spark Plugs. We'll the instructions that come with the coils says gap the plugs at 0.65.

The worst is I just had the car Dyno tuned at Livernoise Motorsports. Should have waited till after this upgrade, that was dumb.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on opening the gap on the plugs. It ran so perfect before the ignition upgrade, and after it doesn't run bad, just not as good. I figured it just needs a new tune.

Thoughts?

70e6705c756933a2f5527c9efe71d712_zps9514ebd9.jpg

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
.050-.054 for N/A and .028-.032 for boosted.

.060 is too high. Why do you need ignition upgrades? Decent spark plugs and OEM packs are fine.

Edited: Boost numbers

Last edited:

C3SVT

Established Member
.050-.054 for N/A and .030-.035 for boosted.

.060 is too high. Why do you need ignition upgrades? Decent spark plugs and OEM packs are fine.

The upgrade was just for engine dress up. But as far as the gap, I was following directions.

I'd really like some more feed back on increasing the gap

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
The upgrade was just for engine dress up. But as far as the gap, I was following directions.

I'd really like some more feed back on increasing the gap

Directions from who? Factory gap is .054

If you're running boost or nitrous a colder plug is needed, hence the .028-.032 gap. I ran a .050-.052 gap in my 95 cobra, and now run .032 gap in my 2003.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/329600-1996-cobra-spark-plugs.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/598638-spark-plug-gap.html

laddanator

Established Member
Directions from who? Factory gap is .054

If you're running boost or nitrous a colder plug is needed, hence the .028-.032 gap. I ran a .050-.052 gap in my 95 cobra, and now run .032 gap in my 2003.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/329600-1996-cobra-spark-plugs.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/598638-spark-plug-gap.html

Yes 54 is correct. I've been running a SC so long with the 32 gap, I almost forgot NA gap but I was close. I concur, 60 plus is too much gap.

C3SVT

Established Member
I spoke with a guy today from the guys that make the Sreamin Demon coils (Permormance Distributors). He said the gap of 65 is correct. And it's a better burning spark.

How to detriment who or what is correct is my goal.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I spoke with a guy today from the guys that make the Sreamin Demon coils (Permormance Distributors). He said the gap of 65 is correct. And it's a better burning spark.

How to detriment who or what is correct is my goal.

Better burning spark, that must be why your car isn't running good :dw:

Stop listening to them, Ford manufactured this and set the gap to .054, and .054 is basically for N/A Cobra's.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Just because the gap with stock components is .054" doesn't mean it has to be with aftermarket coils.

BTW, I had these coils and gapped the plugs .065", the power did not increase by even 1hp.

C3SVT

Established Member
I have not changed a thing. It's winter here and the car will not leave the garage till Summer. I do believe I'm going to go with the factory gap thou. I don't see the need for a larger gap.

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
I'll post up a bit of experience here from my car. When I bought it, it came with a Vortech supercharger kit and NGK Iridium plugs. It just never seemed to run quite right. I had to smog it ( California BS ) and decided to do a basic tune up on it. I replaced the wires ( just because I didn't like what was on it ) and the Iridiums for Autolite Platinums and opened the gap up to the stock .054". It did run better but of course blew the spark out. I had it smogged and then decreased the gap to .045" ( same as Ford GT specs ). Still ran the same and had a small amount of spark misfire. I bought Screamin' Demon coils and misfires dropped to almost nothing. Came back on occasion. I went back and tried the NGK Iridiums, it ran like crap ( actually about like when I first bought it ). I then stepped back and thought about what I had learned about spark transfer and resistance and decided to installed copper plugs. In a chance and I wanted to try the Zex plugs. I bought them, gapped them @ .045" and the car came alive. It has better throttle response, cleaner smog levels at the pipe and has no misfiring at all. Now some basics, when running a larger gap there is generally a higher amount of amperage with it. The higher amount allows a better burn of the fuel mixture. If a complete burn is already happening there will be no difference in power ( but could clean up the powerband some ). I always try to run the largest gap possible for the application. It will vary from car to car and engine to engine design. Cylinder pressure rate of increase/peak is the main controlling factor in any application... I used to use NGK V power plugs in my SVO with 20+ PSI at.032" gap. It had a Crane HI6 ignition and coil, they were the best running, but shortest lasting plugs unfortunately!!!

Last edited:

C3SVT

Established Member
I've been toying with the idea of just simply installing some motor craft plugs at factory gap and running this way for a while.

I can't wait till spring to I can run at all!

Users who are viewing this thread