Spark plug recommendations stock pulley

There are too many threads producing too many confusing results on what plugs to run with a Terminator running the stock pulley. Any recommendations on what plug to replace the stock plugs on an 03/04 Terminator.

Mods as follows:

Running stock pulley
K&N FIPK kit
Bassani X and catback

NGK Part# 3951 (TR55) gapped at .060? or NGK Part# 7164 (IX Series plug #TR55IX) gapped at .060?

Or Autolite Part# XP103 gapped at .054?

Sorry fellas but I can't find a simple recommendation for stock replacement plugs based on my mods. Thanks for being patient with me.
huglove.gif

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
stock plugs are fine on stock boost. Based on your mods, you dont need different plugs. how many miles are on the plugs now?

Tom

All I've read over and over are that the stock platinums are crap. Aren't there some copper plugs that can serve as an upgrade? I never liked running platinums on anything and I enjoy changing spark plugs. Its not a chore at all.

Tom's_03SVT said:
copper plugs often create a stumble or miss at idle.

So don't touch the stock and leave them in until I start playing with boost?

Lastly, its my understanding that there have been 3 different types of Motorcraft plugs with the 03/04 Cobras. Which Motorcraft plugs should I be using?

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I'd do the tr6ix at .045. It will work fine and you can beat it all you want and they won't wear out. Running that high a gap won't get you anymore besides hard on the coils and maybe a misfire. Everybody has a opinion on plugs, I don't like screwing with them too much with 4 threads in the head. A lil neverseize and torque them properly, don't want plugs blowing out or stripping threads. I run 7ix's but got juice too. Advance auto was 5.95 ea. I never had problems with either the af12's or af22's either for that matter but needed something easier to fire and colder running n20. stock engine I'd say if you have the $ 6ix>af22>af12 and motocraft do af22's (lightning stock) 12's are mighty cold and no one has them.

Juruense

Banned
According to my research for a stock Cobra like mine the stock plug recommended in the owner's manual was the best choice. The current recommended plug is the coldest one that was ever recommended/used in Terminators. It is the AGSF12-FM1 and it is a platinum plug. They are difficult to find and expensive. I had to special order mine through the Ford parts counter and the parts guy did me "a favor" and sold them to me at the "special price" of $6.50 each.

When I was looking for these plugs last December I found that Rock Auto had the best prices but was out of stock at the time. They may have re-stocked by now...

Last edited:
Kilgore Trout said:
According to my research for a stock Cobra like mine the stock plug recommended in the owner's manual was the best choice. The current recommended plug is the coldest one that was ever recommended/used in Terminators. It is the AGSF12-FM1 and it is a platinum plug. They are difficult to find and expensive. I had to special order mine through the Ford parts counter and the parts guy did me "a favor" and sold them to me at the "special price" of $6.50 each.

When I was looking for these plugs last December I found that Rock Auto had the best prices but was out of stock at the time. They may have re-stocked by now...

Thanks for the response my friend. There are 6 different threads discussing plugs on CobraBob's website and it was confusing the hell out of me. I want to take a conservative approach to this since I'm not looking to have the fastest Cobra on the street.

I've always ordered a lot of components from RockAuto. They have a Motorcraft plug on there for the 03s and 04s as follows: MOTORCRAFT Part # SP405 SVT Cobra; .054 Gap $3.85 each

www.blueovalchips.com has 3 different plus:
1)AWSF 32C Stock Heat range
2)AWSF 22C 1 Range Colder
3)AWSF 12C 2 Range Colder

I'm going to email the 10% discount dude from Tousley Ford to see what he can do. Thanks for the input. I'm going to try and get the Motorcraft ones you recommended.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I had almost 4 years and 43000 miles on the stock AGSF 22 FM1 plugs when I finally did pully and a tune. They were in excellent shape when I pulled them. If you are not having any issues, stay with the stock plugs.

Juruense

Banned
01cobravortech said:
1)AWSF 32C Stock Heat range
2)AWSF 22C 1 Range Colder
3)AWSF 12C 2 Range Colder
Do not use those, they are the old style AWSF type not the new recommended AGSF type. The difference is that the AWSF have the short threads and some people say this makes them more likely to blow out of the head. Regardless of what people say, Ford changed the recommendation from AWSF to AGSF at least a couple years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread