Spark plugs. Stockers no good?

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I noticed an awful lot of people have switched to different plugs. Nobody can have that many miles on their '03's yet. So I assume there is a reason. Why have so many people switched to NGK's and Denso's? I thought the stock plugs were platinum plugs and considered pretty good. I also noticed most that have switched have a lot of mods. Are the stock plugs not good enough for higher boost cars? I'm just curious as to why so many have switched. Also, what gap do most of you pullied Eaton guys run on the aftermarket plugs?

Thanks,

Torch

Swervedriver

Established Member
Different spark plugs have different heat ranges. Too hot of a plug can cause detonation when boost is increased. You will also notice people with little blower pullies also run a smaller gap.

I've always been told to stay away from Platinum in boosted vehicles.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
The stock platinum spark plugs hold too much heat, especially when going more than 8lbs...The NGK TR6s are a solid copper core etc...Ford puts the platinum in for longevity not performance...100k till tune-up bs

-pete :coolman:

NewToFord

Established Member
so if I am running 15lbs of boost what should I gap my ngk's to? Is it bad if I leave the stock plugs in?

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by Bobrammer
What about the Denso iridiums? I'm changing to a 2.93 pulley this weekend. Do I need to swap plugs? Thanks!

Maybe it's just coincidence, but it seems most guys w/ 2.93's are using NGK TR6's. Gapped anywhere from .035 to .040.

Swervedriver

Established Member
It is common to put colder heat range plugs in at the same time that the pulley size is reduced.

Up the boost, cool the plug.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by Bobrammer
What about the Denso iridiums? I'm changing to a 2.93 pulley this weekend. Do I need to swap plugs? Thanks!

For the 2.93, I'd go with the IT20s if you use Densos...I used to have the TR6s and threw them away because they caused two low speed misses. Gap did not make a difference (.032-.040").

This is the best place to buy the Densos.

http://www.outrageousperformance.com/store/

-pete:coolman:

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I run the stock plugs also. The car runs perfect with no signs of blowout or detonation. If the car runs fine with the stock plugs why F with it?

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrapete03'
For the 2.93, I'd go with the IT20s if you use Densos...I used to have the TR6s and threw them away because they caused two low speed misses. Gap did not make a difference (.032-.040").

I had the same problem with the TR6's and the Autolite AR103's I finally ended up giving them away and going to Densos. The Densos cured my low RPM misfire so they get my vote.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
I had the same problem with the TR6's and the Autolite AR103's I finally ended up giving them away and going to Densos. The Densos cured my low RPM misfire so they get my vote.

I hear ya dude.

-pete:coolman:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
Stock Plugs and Stock Gap here, 458rwhp/492rwtq not a single hint of a problem

have you pulled a plug to see which ones you have? I've heard Ford switched them during production in 03.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Maybe i overlooked this but did anyone ever say what a 2.7x pully should be gapped at with the NGK tr6's?....if not what does everyone think?

kobra

Established Member
Has anyone heard anything about BERU silverstone plugs i have some i bought for my cobra after i install my 2.8 pulley.The guy who sold them to me said they were better than the densos

Swervedriver

Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan
Maybe i overlooked this but did anyone ever say what a 2.7x pully should be gapped at with the NGK tr6's?....if not what does everyone think?

Depends on your climate. I've heard .034" to .036"

Users who are viewing this thread